New runner - recovery times

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

New runner - recovery times

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm going to go for the MOKRUN 10k next year. I've started training for this from last week (from nothing). Hoping that a year will be enough to get in shape to be able to complete the 10k in a not too embarrassing time. The slowest male vet this year was 1:26:03, so I want to beat that :D

I've started my training on a treadmill last week. Last run was just over 1.6km, so a mile. There's a short run I used to do from my house which is 2.5k, so I'm aiming to be able to do 4 or 5km on the treadmill before I attempt it, as I know running in the real world is harder than a treadmill.

How long should I give myself between runs for recovery? I'm going to the gym this afternoon, and want to go on the treadmill to go for 2km or so. My last "run" will have been approx 48 hours ago - will that be enough recovery time, or is it a case of listening to my body?
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New runner - recovery times

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 am

Kevin

I would say run how you feel, but always get a doctor's advice. My advice, to get your stamina up a wee bit, is to do 10 times 100 metres.Try to get round about the same time for each rep--don't burst the first one. About 60 per cent each rep. Recovery--half the rep time

Do that for 2 days a week, five days apart. I want to do a disclaimer so that I don't get pulled up by the powers that be.

Disclaimer
I am not qualified to give any advice on fitness/running. If you are willing to participate, I will not be held responsible for any injuries or loss sustained as a result of this post. You participate one hundred per cent under your own authority, not mine.

Nuts, I know, but people are watching :@

All the best, it's a start Kevin.

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am

A year's a long time to train for one event, as well. You have to test yourself through the winter. Look for local events, clubs, anything that will keep you focussed. Winter is long in UK.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 am

Kevin---have a look at this training plan (link below). You will see that the basic idea is run one day, rest the next. As I said before, try to find a race near you, in September and follow the plan. A year is a long time to focus on one race. Then target another in say, December, another in February. They will maintain your focus. Good luck.

http://running.about.com/od/racetrainin ... ginner.htm
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies 8)

I'm giving myself a year, as I think it will probably take that long to be able to complete the 10k relatively comfortably. Will look into trying for other 10k's before the MOKRUN.

Not keen on joining a running club as they'll all be way too fast for me.

I have been going to the gym for a few months, but I'm definitely not fit. I'm 46 and overweight (BMI of 29.0), so I want to start gently and build myself up.

Did 2km's yesterday on the treadmill - quite happy with that. Felt bad around 0.5km's, but was fine after that. Felt like I could do more, but I don't want to do too much too soon.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat