Cross Country Running

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Cross Country Running

Postby DJD » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I have been wondering if any runners would be interested in a wee cross country series that would be a very low key thing,(nothing like the summer one)just for fun. More importantly to get the benefits from doing xcountry that enhances your running strength over the winter period come the spring events, you will have in mind.

Once again it would run on the handicap system. As i hope to be able to run in the events, then so it would be self release at the starting point and self finishing times taken.

I was thinking Nov/Dec/Jan(The burner)/Feb/(Mar?), with no set dates, but run on a Saturday morning once I get permission from certain people.

I don't expect many takers (if any),but it is an added training event to do or look forward to doing (lol) over the winter period, which would certainly get you toughened up metally aswell as you reaping the benefit as I have already mentioned above. Also it give you a break from that LSR/LSD, and to be honest it would be better than the LSR/LSD overall once a month.

Let me know either in person or pm on just stick your name on here.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Cross Country Running

Postby S6MMF » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:50 am

I like the sound of that, somthing different to pass the winter and I really enjoyed jan burner etc last year. :D
S6MMF
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby iceblue » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Count me in for this DJD, I always really enjoy the January Burner handicap race and more of the same over the winter would be good :)
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ashleigh07 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Is it open for the younger ones :)
Ashleigh07
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby DJD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:39 am

I will pm you and NJ as to what.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kaom » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Yeah I think I would give this a try. Something different :)
kaom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby skernish longrow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

count me in mud mud mud
skernish longrow
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 am

Hi All,

We have enough runners that are interested in taking part,so it is worth putting this event together for those runners over the winter period.

The first xcountry event date is confirmed and will be on the 25th Nov.

The other monthly Sunday dates are just provisional for now.

Dec 16th

Jan 26th (Jan Burner)

Feb 17th

Mar 24th (if requested)

I will put on here all the details next week, after I have ran it through and finalised all the smaller details in my head.

Thanks
Last edited by DJD on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby S6MMF » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 pm

I'm away that weekend, nevermind, will hopfully make the others!
S6MMF
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DJD » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry folks, I have changed the day of the cross country to a Sunday rather than the Saturday, the only reason being is that I had forgot that my boys have rugby on that morning.

Still, what could be better than running on a crisp (rain more likely) Sunday morning and relaxing the rest of the day.

I hope this is still convenient for some, please let me know if you are still up for it so I can judge if it is still worth going ahead with the event.

thanks
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby skernish longrow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 pm

fine by me donald hopefully some more of the handicap runners will come out for a run after all you have to be in it to win it
skernish longrow
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby iceblue » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Sundays are okay with me Donald :)
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Folks, here is the blueprint for the up and coming series for you to have a look at. feel free to ask any questions.

Cross Country Running

The Aim

The aim is to give you runners another aspect of a tough training session rather than a race as such , but it will still have that competitive spirit about it, either it being against your nearest (friendly) rival or in this case, more against oneself , that being to try and gain the benefit from the mental and physical side of running over cross country over the coming months.

Here is the fun and the event side of things.

The Course

The course shall be consistent through out the series, so to ascertain the question of one’s improvement. It shall consist of 2/3 laps

The Distance

The distance shall be no more than 5miles and no less than 4 miles.

The Scoring (just for fun)

1. (a) Everyone that enters has a had time, that has been taken over the last six months or so, from a road race that He/She may have entered..(ie the summer handicap)

(b) That time, will then be converted to a predicted time to match the distance of this series races and that time will stay as your handicap through out the whole series. (age graded as well).

2. Points will be awarded as follows.

(a) For every second (1/60s) , one has got close to His/Her predicted time will be awarded 1/60th of a point. 60/60th = 1 point

Example = Predicted time was 45min 20s for the said given distant, your actual time was 46min 28s the result is - 1min 8s = 1+ 8/ 60th

Therefore, your score for that race would be 1pt and 8/60th

(b) The one that has the lowest points or time over the course of the series shall be deemed the winner.

(Please note that your predicted time is set on a road time, therefore times should always be in the minus)

Summary

You are not really directly competing against each other as in the terms of a race on the day, but more directly you are competing against your own time on every occasion. The starts will be in waves, so you will still get that race feeling to help you compete on the day and achieve your objective.

The objective

Is to improve over the coming winter period over a series of a monthly race, in bringing your times down as you become more confident, physical stronger and mentally robust at every event.( Of course the weather and conditions might have something to say about that, on race days) But more directly, one is competing against one’s own time. With the added bonus of hitting your objective.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Please put Doug & I down for some crosscountry shenigans.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby kaom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah I'll still manage on a Sunday
kaom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat