Running / Sports Injuries

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Running / Sports Injuries

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:29 pm

I've just noticed the amount of people who have some niggling and some longer term injuries and I thought that it may be helpful to start a thread on that very topic. People can share their problems / ailments---nothing too personal mind you!! and see if anyone else out there can offer advice, perhaps having had a similar injury in the past. May be useful for some.

Hope the knee clears up soon 4th Gen
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ileach B » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:40 pm

I get sore ankle joints after a run. Mainly the inside! Got new Ascis Gel's which have helped, but recently the pain has come back.

Pan's had the idea of having my feet checked properly in a shop. Which is probably the best idea! In which case I've answered my own question. But any ideas??
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Katfer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Having your gait checked out is definitely worth it. Achilles Heel and Tiso are the only two I know of iin Glasgow but I'm sure there are loads more. I have suffered from tendonitis in the inside of both ankles but since had my feet assessed this is no longer a problem. Have also PM'd you regarding this.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with Katfer, but I'm not convinced about the accuracy of some of the checks. I had the same problem as Pans Lass a couple of years ago and went to Greaves Sports in Gordon Street in Glasgow. I did the treadmill thing and was then shown how I ran, on a PC that was hooked up to a camera on the treadmill. I was told that I was a serious overpronater and came away with a pair of strong support shoes that turned out to be identical to the pair that Iceblue had been advised to buy a couple of weeks before, from the same shop.

My knee problem did clear up but when it came to buying my next pair, I went to Achilles Heel in Glasgow and was told that I didn't overpronate that much and a medium support shoe would be better. I did feel that the Achilles Heel staff knew their stuff better, rather than just a sales pitch, and their advice was to buy the cheapest pair, not the dearest. I would recommend them. They're in Great Western Road, but parkings a nightmare!!!
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Rab - Where is the shop on Great Western Road?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 pm

They're quite far out Davie (does that mean they'll sell you a pair of Jesus sandals and a Kaftan???)

Right about here -

http://achillesheel.co.uk/contact.php
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 pm

I have to agree with your experience in Greaves Rabmacd. When I went to get my gait assessed I had no running injuries or problems but the staff said I was an overpronator and sold me an £80 pair of trainers :shock:

When these worn out, I went back to Greaves and they sold me an upgraded pair of the same trainers, but didn't reassess my gait on the treadmill, another £80 :roll:

I hadn't worn the second pair for long before I started to feel my legs getting sore after some runs, so I went to Run 4 It in Bothwell Street in Glasgow. The sales assistant got me to walk up and down the shop to assess my gait. She was surprised that Greaves had diagnosed me as a severe overpronator, and told me I was only a mild overpronator and sold me a much cheaper pair of trainers. I've had no problems with these :D
Last edited by iceblue on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby visitkintyre.info » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Rabmacd wrote:They're quite far out Davie (does that mean they'll sell you a pair of Jesus sandals and a Kaftan???)

Right about here -

http://achillesheel.co.uk/contact.php

Cheers Rab. Pretty handy to be honest (Glesga Dave coming back :lol: ) - you can get the tube to Kelvinbridge. I wondered if it was around there - we quite often park at the Kelvinbridge underground so that solves the parking.
visitkintyre.info
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:47 pm

Rabmacd wrote: I did feel that the Achilles Heel staff knew their stuff better, rather than just a sales pitch, and their advice was to buy the cheapest pair, not the dearest. I would recommend them. They're in Great Western Road, but parkings a nightmare!!!

Got to agree Rabmacd with Achilles Heel . They were extremely helpful and I feel they do know what they are talking about. Unfortunately my knee problem has returned and i have been wearing orthotic supports for a few months now. They helped initially but my problem seems to have returned but its only since I have upped my mileage. ALso if you tell them you belong to a running club they will give you 10% off. Just tell them Gail sent you along and I am sure they will give you it too. :lol:

As for the parking ...its all metered and hard to get a space. I got Pans Lad to just park on the other side of the road and told him I only be 5 mins :wink: ...think you can only stop for 30 mins at a time. Well 30 mins later my mobile goes and I still in the shop ....just to prove you get one to one attention. I also was having a good look at the running gear sale rail . :wink:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 am

What do you all do with the dreaded blister. Must admit I just cut across any with a pair of scissors. :shock:

I feel that this always allows me to carry on training, when I am in training, that is
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Katfer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 am

My dreaded blister has now finally healed after two weeks!

I thought the same Rabmacd and cut it open with a pair of any old scissors! Big mistake! It ended up infected and had to get some antibiotics to help it heall. I found the Silverhealing elastoplast was very good which you can buy out the chemist, and on top of that I put a pressure point sticky pad which you cut to the size of your blister (Also available in the chemist). All sounds a bit a performance but it allowed me to continue running with a blister.
Katfer
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DJD » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:20 am

Kafter,your way is at the end of the day the best way of dealing with it.From days of old it for me it was,splice,wee,patch and move on,a wee bit on the same lines as Rabmacd.You soon learn to make sure you have well fitted socks/footwear,(touchwood) l hardly ever get one now,but do still get thee odd one if l don't put the correct socks on and think "l'll be alright".
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:49 pm

When I was in Glasgow this weekend I stopped off again at Achilles Heel to let them have another look at my gait . Brought my exisiting trainers for them to have a look at the wear on them. . :shock: It seems i am still overpronating and that is with the orthotic supports in place. Explained my knee problem has come back and I have also developed large blisters on the sides of the feet where the supports are just like you Kafter, which I never had before I got the orthotics . It was suggested I put the supports under the sole of the trainer to prevent it rubbing. Also to wear a more padded sock. So left the shop with a new pair of Brook trainers a complete change from my usual ASICS and a new pair of mono skin socks. Getting desperate so will try anything. The other alternative was to get moulds made of my feet and get custom orthotic supports made at £150 . It may be the answer but will give the new trainers a go first. :oops:

Got the 'stuff' for my blisters too . Now all I need to do is break the new trainers in before Dublin. :shock:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Whatever would Zola Bud make of all this footwear expense. :shock:

Im glad im to old and sensible for all this running palaver now. 8)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

blisters and painful calves

Postby weetoonplodder » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:21 pm

hi all

The best way to treat blisters (especially on the toes) is burst with a pin and drain them completely with tissue, leave them to air for half an hour then soak your feet in warm water and a couple of generous spoonfuls of baking soda, then leave to dry naturally. This is tried and tested and has been used since the running boom in the eighties.

If you are getting them under your arches then no matter what the GAIT and the shop assistant says, you have got the wrong type of trainers on your feet. Generally the biggest mistake is being sold support trainers for cushioned feet meaning that ur arch is lower and putting more pressure on the trainer than it is designed for, causing ur arch to rub on the shoe stitching or the top edge of the insole.

As for you girls, stop squeezing your feet into high heels all day every day, they miss-shape ur feet

Pans LassForget the orthotic support it aint worth the money, try a pair of SPENCO or Sorbathane insoles if your going to buy anything, its a cheaper option BUT check your trainer suitability first, Id bet your wearing the wrong type.

Painful calves is usually a sign of over streching in the calves possible caused by slight tendonitous in the achilles or possibly by being too heavy to run or for the trainers that you are running in. The best way to overcome this is to stretch properly and if you can, get a proper sports massage on them, you will be amazed the differance that a massage on your legs makes to your performance.

Hope this info helps you all

P.s Just remember we aint all 17 anymore :wink:
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat