GREAT SCOTTISH RUN 2009

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

GREAT SCOTTISH RUN 2009

Postby caro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Moment of madness there and just booked online for this year's Great Scottish Run on 6th Sept!! :<>

It's not our official 'going away' trip this year, but just wondered if anyone else is going to run it this time around?

I've really enjoyed it the last two years - and thought it would give me something to focus on over the summer! :roll:
caro
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: GREAT SCOTTISH RUN 2009

Postby Pans Lass » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Thats me signed up for this one too Caro .....anymore wanting to join us . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fja » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:32 pm

Yes, I'm signed up too; for the half. If I was fitter I would be going for a PB. It's a mostly flat course and the St Vincent Street incline at the beginning gives you a great start and a confidence boost if you are used to hills. For that reason useful to try to get to the front of your colour group otherwise you end up having to circumvent all the non hill runners for the first mile. In my case they inevitably catch up pretty quick but does ensure you get plenty of running space. One of my favourite races.
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby elainemck » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm signed up for this too - my first half :-0 Just back from 2 weeks of eating and drinking - not the best preparation and starting to panic!

Any advice for training for a half in 5 weeks!?!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceblue » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Elaine, I would go onto Runner's World SmartCoach and get a 5 week training program to take you up to the race. It will give you some guidance on the kind of sessions, distance and pace you need to do. Personally, I think the most important thing is gradually building up your long runs to at least 10 miles.

Don't panic, you have plenty of time!
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby fiona28 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:05 pm

oh gosh elaine !!

moi n myself did an 8 week training programme for moi's first half, but previous to that we had been gently building up the distances anyway - agree with iceblue get onto runners world - hopefully with your base fitness you will catch up quickly - either that or e-mail them and change to the 10k :D cos its a long long run to do if you are not properly prepared, and i always think for your first half you should be prepared or it might end up very painful :(
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:33 pm

////
Last edited by DJD on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Elaine,

I did the last two MOKRUN half marathons with no preparation. I won't do another without any. It's long and hard and feks about with your mind, your confidence etc. It has left me at rock bottom running wise, I am even running through the summer to get some belief back. My advice would be the same as DJD's--pull the plug on it :cry:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 pm

the boys tell it as it is elaine dont they, us girls sorta pander about but they are right - like i said it is a long long run, and its a lot nicer to be totally up for it when you conquer your first half, :D rather than dying from having really struggled round it :(
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Elaine,

I did the last two MOKRUN half marathons with no preparation. I won't do another without any. It's long and hard and feks about with your mind, your confidence etc. It has left me at rock bottom running wise, I am even running through the summer to get some belief back. My advice would be the same as DJD's--pull the plug on it :cry:

Yeah I've been kinda thinking along these lines... Boo! Damn :( , was hoping yous weren't going to say that!

My training was going pretty well before my holiday although hadn't run any more than 9 miles. Did 5 slow miles tonight and felt ok but definitely slower. I was thinking a realistic aim for my first half for <2 hours 10 mins. Will try a longish run on Saturday (hopefully 9/10 miles) to see how that goes and that might be my deciding factor on pulling the plug!! :@
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 am

Hi Elaine

have to say ive enjoyed reading all the comments and advise uve been given regarding ur dilemma, ultimately it is up to you to decide if your fit enough or not to do the course, all have given very valid information, if you feel that you have a good base fitness then work at it over the next week and put in some test runs to see how you perform.

I know considering its going to be your first that you would like to get a good time in, but it is sometimes better just to complete on your first one and that way it allows you to see where the land lies for future ventures. I have a course that I posted on www.mapmyrun.com "toon route1" try that out in one on a training run this week and try and do round the moss road for your long run on sunday, if you can manage to complete both of them by next week and feel ok at the end of them, then ull manage to complete glasgow in 4 weeks time if you can keep running at these distances, really you dont need to train beyond 10 miles for a half, your fitness will carry you on beyond that and the crowd and the atmosphere are worth a couple of miles to you.

The "toon route 1" is probably the toughest urban run ull get around campbeltown and its a lot tougher than anything ull experience in glasgow, if you cant do a full set of 10 on Mcleod homes brae then at least try a few and go right up and around on your last one, there are only 2 climbs in glasgow worth bothering about , at the start and up paisley road west towards bellahouston park
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby elainemck » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am

weetoonplodder wrote:Hi Elaine

I know considering its going to be your first that you would like to get a good time in, but it is sometimes better just to complete on your first one and that way it allows you to see where the land lies for future ventures. I have a course that I posted on http://www.mapmyrun.com "toon route1" try that out in one on a training run this week and try and do round the moss road for your long run on sunday, if you can manage to complete both of them by next week and feel ok at the end of them, then ull manage to complete glasgow in 4 weeks time if you can keep running at these distances, really you dont need to train beyond 10 miles for a half, your fitness will carry you on beyond that and the crowd and the atmosphere are worth a couple of miles to you.

Thanks weetoonplodder, and to everyone here posted - advice very much appreciated.

I'm going to go round moss road tomorrow and maybe going to attempt your toon route 1 on the Thursday but oh my god - 10 times up the macleod homes hill (I've only ever ran it about twice and I live up there!) high askomil and the waterbrae in one training session?! You're made of good stuff!!

Since my very hilly run on Saturday with Jog Scotland and getting some great advice from the group that were there I've realised even if I do do the half marathon, it's my first so I'm not looking for a pb or a great time just looking to get round the course in one piece! OK my hope of 2 hr 10 maybe isn't that achievable anymore but I'm not that bothered, I'm sure there will be others- I looked on Runners World and there's a flat half in Fort William in November. However, I do want to enjoy it so, therefore, I'm still undecided!! :?
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby madscotsbloke » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Elaine,

I think you will agree that when it comes to training for half marathons, I'm yer man!! I am full of great promises for "doing a lot more training next year" but when it comes down to it, there is always something else takes the time up. It is possible to run them without doing too much training, but, you must listen to your body on the day ( I won't repeat what mine told me this year at the MOK!!) and adjust your pace as necessary. You are right to be wary but as long as you excercise a certain amount of common sense you will be fine. I have yet to fall outside the 2 hr 10 min bracket in any of the 3 halfs I have run, so you will be easily inside that particular target. One thing to remember is that as its your first half then it will be a PB no matter what happens, always nice to know beforehand that you are going to run a PB!!!!

I suppose the only advice or words of wisdom I can offer is that if I can do it anyone can!!

I will be in the sunny US of A on the day otherwise I would be running it with elder bro Craig. Keep me posted on any other 10k or halfs you guys are considering and I'' perhaps tag along - purely for entertainment purposes!!

Gavin
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Carmen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Just like to wish all taking part in Glasgow on Sunday, "Good Luck". Look forward to the race reports!!!!
Carmen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby fja » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 pm

And good luck from me too, not that you need it - all that hard work will reap its reward, to everyone in its own way.
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat