Reykjavik Half Marathon

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Reykjavik Half Marathon

Postby fja » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Just back from my first International race – Jackie and Margaret’s second, having previously run in Dublin. The subtle smell of sulphur, the taste of the sweetest lamb (eschewed the puffin – cost not sentimentality), relaxing in “hot-pots” and the amazing landscape has eclipsed, for me, the race. Just a few hours before start there was no sign of any preparation so in the morning it was a surprise to find such a well ordered but incredibly laid back race site. Fiona28, you would have been proud of us – we seemed to be the only ones partaking in the warm up which we kind of improvised loosely based on your routines :D . Fellow runners looked on indulgently. I think it’s fair to say that after the city centre start beside the lake the course was not particularly scenic following the coast road for most of the way with a loop back through the suburbs including a rather bleak dockland area. Good points – pretty much flat, good pb potential as long as its not windy, loads of running room even at the start, excellent craic although you need to initiate the conversation. We were lucky with the weather – about 13 C, bit of drizzly rain, and very little wind. J and M had excellent runs. I took it slowly (leg still bothering me) and created a new pw which I’m gradually learning to live with! Excellent post race celebrations all over Reykjavik – “Culture Night” – street theatre, bands, roundabouts and fireworks that were just like Gandalf’s – they came shooting towards you just like in the Lord of the Rings movie :<> . Would I do it again? – yes. And if I ever get around to doing a full marathon this would be a serious contender. And I’ve just found out that a week later (last weekend in August) Greenland stages its half marathon – anyone interested in a trip to Nuuk in 2010 :idea: ?
fja
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Reykjavik Half Marathon

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Well done Frances, sounds like a great trip and a good time for all.

How does one go about getting to Greenland I wonder :@ :roll: sounds interesting! maybe a wee Jog Scotland weekend up there could be in the offing!!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ileach B » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Well done Francis, Jackie and mum!

Sounds like everyone done really well, good times and really enjoyed the trip away!
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jackiefulton » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks fja for promised race account, what can I say, well worth the trip, thoroughly enjoyed the half marathon, on same day as marathon, 10k and really well subscribed fun run - 1100 in all. The fun run and a "Sporticus" led warm up - looked brill :D , mums dads grannies grampas, loadsa buggies. Yes the craic was good, especially in the hot tubs, met some fellow runners there as well as locals and the blue lagoon, complete with "island" bar well pure chill out time.....
never made greenland but maybe in 2010, great company too thanks f & m, :D
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Well done all of you, you all did fantastic. Fja you did brilliant even though you were injured so well done. By the sounds of it you thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip and going to Greenland too - wow!
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Enjoyed reading your race report fja amd well done to you , Margaret and Jackie . Sound like one for the Jog Scotland away calendar . :D
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat