Campbeltown Running Club

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Running Club

Postby DJD » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 am

Another good input Weetoon plodder and very welcome comments on the side of a" we do and have a good side to a running group as a whole".

Anyway folk we have enough interest and opinion's to go down the next avenue now.

So its down to business,l propose that we have 3 monthly meetings

June 23rd
July 21st
Aug 25th

Venue The Commercial

Time 1900hrs-2100hrs

The Agenda... A Road Running Club.

I think the first one should be informal and more on the social side on the first night,but listening to idea's ect.So people get your thinking caps on,beg steal or borrow idea's and last but not least,do some homework on how get to in the know of the rules and regs of a Unafilliated/Affiliated running club.

As far as l am concerned we learn together and be part of this road together and it will take it's course, whatever and whoever plays the most or knows the most.

l could tell a few stories,but thats not my make up.

What do you think.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Tue May 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Sounds good to me DJD. I intend to have a chat with Sandy Shankland, who took the four Dumfries teams down to the KWR. It'll be useful to get some info from those in a Running Club, to get the whole picture---costs, constitutions, gear, training programmes etc. I think that it's a good idea that we take time to consider all of the possibilities rather than go "gung-ho" straight into it
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby peenkles21 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

I think this is a great idea for the town, count me in.

As a few people have said already, have a meeting, see what the potential members have in mind and go from there.
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Skerry » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm

I'd be interested in a running club. However, I can't do the early 6pm stuff. I used to be in the old club with Donald Campbell, Roddy Girvan, Dave Lord and Kevin Scally. Dave Lord took us on some very "undulating" runs :D , but it was brilliant fun.
Skerry
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby DJD » Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Elainemck,has kindly informed me that the night of our first meeting,will clash with the prize giving at the CGS on the 23rd June,so we will move it to the Thursday,which we hope then we can maximise the attendance on that night.

So it will be the Thursday the 24th June at 1900hrs at the Commercial.

Hopefully that will suit as many runners and supporters as possible.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Hope we get as many to turn up at the first meeting of a running club as we had last night at the Wee Toon Runners series ,that was the nucleus of a running club if l ever saw one.

Every thing was there last night in abundance,friendship,encouragement,banter it had the lot.So if we can harness that we could and should have a nice passage to making a very good and happy running club in near future.

Deep down l know l was not the only one that saw what was there last night.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Sorry folks the venue for the 24th June is the Burnside and not the Comm as l had mentioned earlier the reason being is that l had got my pubs mixed up in the old brain and thought it was the Comm we had our handicap presentation in,but infact it was pointed out to me tonight it was the Burnside .(sad when you don't know one's pubs from one's pint)

Anyway the Burnside is the ideal size to hold the meeting in,so just to clarify it is as follows.

Date... 24th June

Venue..BURNSIDE Pub

Time 1900hrs.

Thanks.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Just bumping this post back up to the top to remind anyone interested.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Och its on Thursday night, :<> I will miss the 2 John's on the local radio, phew thank god for that. :)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Looking forward to the meeting, I really enjoyed the buzz of mokrun and the first handicap race series of the year - I would imagine plenty of interest to establish a running club. :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Ninja Mania wrote:Och its on Thursday night, :<> I will miss the 2 John's on the local radio, phew thank god for that. :)

well, that's where yer wrang Ninja, see, the Burnside have Argyll FM on from 6.00 till 9.00 every Thursday night..... the punters demand it. So you will miss nothing :wink:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 am

I am working so am unable to attend. I have been on the pm with elaine, so just to let you all know hope the meeting is a success and what will be will be...

I don't have time with working full time and shifts to be able to commit to anything so will be unable to help in any way and probably also unable to go to most meets - just realised last night that I work every Tuesday so cant make the race series!! I also think that most of the jogleaders are at their quota of time giving also - so it's upto some new fresh blood to take the reins of the running club.

I have also said to Elaine that if the club takes off a great name for it would be "The Wee Toon Racers" - to compliment our group of the "Wee Toon Runners". We would continue to "feed" people who have reached their progression point with us.

After the summer hols we will still be running our Monday, Thursday and Saturday sessions, hopefully whatever you all decide to go with will compliment this.

Enjoy your debate.
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re:Campbeltown Running Club

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 pm

At a meeting tonight

the "Campbeltown Running Club" was formed.

Tremendous!!! and thanks to all for turning out, and the names of those that couldn't.

Robert McDonald
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Campbeltown Running Club

Postby madscotsbloke » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:34 am

Rab,

Great to hear that. Apologies (Late) for not making it along but I am heading out of the toon at that time most nights, and if I was to go to the pub on a Thursday night it may take a few strong men to get me out!! (bad company and all that)

I will be very interested to see what direction the club takes and will continue to support (albeit as a country member) running and associated causes in the Campbeltown area. On that subject, will see you and the guys on Tuesday night for more Handicap Series madness (and a fiver!!)

Crack on.........

MSB
www.westcoastphotos.co.uk
madscotsbloke
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Campbeltown Running Club

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:33 am

Congratulations to the Campbeltown Running Club . Wishing the club every success for the future . :D

See you on the road .....
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat