Campbeltown Running Club

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Running Club

Postby fiona28 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:39 pm

i have been following this thread and giving it much thought. Pans lass has spoken well on behalf of the jogleaders. Feel I have to give my thoughts not because i want to but because it is expected. For discussions about something so important i prefer face to face as i feel tone can really be misinterpreted in the written word as we have all seen before :D

I believe whether we be the "plodders" or "joggers" or the "runners" that have been mentioned we are all out there doing our best. This is the ethos that we follow and try to instill in our members at JSC believing that all are equal and that there is no separation between runners and joggers - we are one.

I would like to see a running club in the town and if it became an attachment to our group - so be it but im afraid it couldnt be the case of just doing it so we can wave a piece of paper (and i sincerely dont say this go get at anyone) to get spaces in marathons for the elite. Anything taken on has to be done so in the correct manner, this involves a great deal of time given by volunteers. It would also involve someone qualifying as a coach to a minimum of level 2 - I have asked scottish athletics and this is a requirement. To put someone through this will probably be costly.

Would this cost then be covered by the club as through experience as JSC monday and thursday the "plodders" and "joggers" are happy to pay their £10 for 10 sessions fees as they feel they are learning and being supported, more experienced runners in my experience feel they can run anyway and dont want to pay for the privelege - not all of them but more and more we find people just turn up when suits on a saturday and this also is fine but verges on unfair. Can i also emphasize at this point that JSC are not about making money as we dont "need" it but we do like to give to the community and for example put on massage, prizes, buffets for members at end of block with no additional costs.

A running club would have to make money to cover its costs.

A means of doing this would be members paying an affiliation to the club probably be required to cover set up costs, insurances, coaching qualification etc etc. Then there would be the weekly fee to run with the club, with affiliated members paying less than unaffiliated. Someone would need to collect this money nightly.

i spent 2 hours on the internet last night going through the set up of many clubs that i could google.

How many people would this club after all the effort is put in and set up then help - it would then come down to times etc, who is training for what, most of our elite runners go out on their own at a time that suits then, this may be due to us not having a club but a good membership would be essential to keep a good club afloat.
If you all think we can do this then lets have a meeting and see, im not going to be the bad one saying we cannot - but we do have to be practical. i for one have a full time job, two weans, jogscotland volunteer, red cross volunteer, pta member for 2 schools. What commitments do the rest of you have? You have to seriously think what you can commit as if doing this we would be doing it properly.

I will now add a disclaimer, that this is my thoughts alone, my open and honest thoughts. I am in no way getting at anyone and look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at the KWR and perhaps having a drink with you all at the ceilidh.
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Healthy post Fiona28,really enjoyed your opinion and the length you went out of your way to find the facts.

Chairwoman in the making,for a Road Running club and not as a Athletics Club as there is no facilities here which is a shame.

Glad you put your opinion in and made the picture bigger of what the commit would be.

See you on the KWR and have a good one.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:35 pm

djd as always deadly for nominating others :lol: what is the difference between an affiliated running club and an affiliated road running club, did i word my e-mail (which i have copied and pasted below) wrongly??

hi anne

A group of folk in my area are thinking of setting up an affiliated running club. Would I be right or wrong in saying to be affiliated you need to have a qualified coach??

cheers

fiona

Hi Fiona

You are correct. You need a level 2 coach at the very least. Perhaps a club nearby could help with coaches to come and help you set it up, and once you have some qualified coaches, they could then let you fly on your own.

Kind Regards

Anne
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Weetoonplodder,

great post. :D :D :D

Thanks for the useful info.

Thanks too for the info Weetoon plodder . Hope to see you at the MOK :D

DJD wrote:Healthy post Fiona28,really enjoyed your opinion and the length you went out of your way to find the facts.

Chairwoman in the making,for a Road Running club and not as a Athletics Club as there is no facilities here which is a shame.

Glad you put your opinion in and made the picture bigger of what the commit would be.

See you on the KWR and have a good one.

Thanks DJD
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jackiefulton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 pm

happy memories wee toon plodder - ran my first race through the folk at Kintyre AC

.. still remember the shock of being entered as a veteran - when it was only my first race!!!

just to add to the debate - a variety of optons should be available locally and I would support an affiliated club

I opted for Sport's tours for my NY place - having raised funds for my place in the Caledonian Challenge 2 year's in a row felt it worth paying the extra to have a good week out and a personal challenge in 2010 and no pressure...

my spectators are travelling on the same flight and are paying a bit less then me - but not that much

running the Dublin Women's Mini marathon with 35,000+ other women in June and many of them will be from the Meet n Train groups across Eire - like JS they get loads of folk started jogging / running / particpating in physical activity.

... so defo up for a variety of options to suit folk at different stages

good luck to all Kintyre Way Relay teams this weekend :D
jackiefulton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DJD » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 am

Old habits diehard Fiona28

There is no difference between an Affiliated Running Club and as l put it a Road Running Club.lt was to point out the fact that, l can understand an athletics club having a level 2 coach but not an ordanary road running club.The strengh and the coaching comes within the club itself.

Times may have moved on and red tape dictates,so they leave it up to us to say what comes first the chicken or the egg.

Anyway l think the air has been cleared and the picture has widened so its time to explore the avenus and the first is who would be commited to forming a club and if the respose is good then move on to the next one and if not kill it dead but a least everyone is in the picture and no harm done.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks djd, i think it is a case of the old red tape nowadays re the coaching, this cannont be all bad however as i have learnt so much from doing my qualifications. They are in place to safeguard the people you are training :D

Spoke to my personal trainer friend kirsty young from mid argyll tri-club, a few of them have their tri coaching certificates and one of the guys has a running certificate. She reckons herself it has all gone mad as she is a qual personal trainer too but the powers that be want coaching qualifications.

it is the same all over, look at the kids football, all those volunteer leaders go through their qualifications, mind you kids are open to learn, some adults no matter how many times you tell them will still go and do their own thing :lol:

The same thing with the red tape over bank accounts, constitutions etc etc we had to do all this for setting up Jogscotland, handing into the bank minutes of meetings etc.

Lets wait n see how many volunteers come forward, the thread has only had a few speakers so far, does this tell us anything :D
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 pm

I did not mean to offend anyone, and I apologise if if I have.

There seems to be a lot of assumption about this whole thing. I posed a question and got a lot of good answers.
It shows me that people are passionate about what they do.

Fiona28, please believe me that the "runners and joggers" thing was not a dig at anyone who gets the shoes on and blasts the pavements. I apologise if my post may have been misconstrued. I was under the impression that JS would have their allocation for London--I was wrong. The Joggers reference was to differentiate JS members and non members.

My original post was aimed at the individuals, that are on the streets running, who do their own thing. There are many. My thoughts were to get all those under some kind of Wee Toon umbrella. I know that it's hard to get folk out at particular times, on particular days. I'm not looking to formalise training regimes. All I wanted was for some runners (should they wish) to have a better chance at having a go at big events.

From your info, it looks like waving a bit of paper won't do, but the question was asked. Unfortunately, the red tape nowadays is an absolute joke and makes things very difficult. i fear that we are going down the "let's sue the bastards" route if someone turns their ankle, rather than " It was my fault, I didn't see that pothole.

I'm in, for a running club.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Nice one Rab.

Still not convinced we need a level 2 coach just for endurance base sport ie road running with only running involved,that is what Jog Scotland Leaders spent their time and effort (and still doing )on attending a one days course and if one went on an atheltics coaching course for level 2 it would be for 2 days that deals with track and field events with further and supervisary help.

We can all investigate and find the route that is best for our pockets and not others.

So the list starts with just as we will put it,we are very interested with a long term view.

Rab
Jackie
DJD
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DJD » Sun May 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Just like to add,l know others have voiced their opinion as regards to the support of a club,just incase your opinion might have changed ,its over to you to state wether yes or no,so that is the reason l did not add you to the list.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

I,m not so up to tune with the rules and reg's about affiliated or unaffiliated club's, infact i'm quite ignorant on it all, but from what I have read, and from what other people I have spoken too with regard's a running club have said, I would say there is more than enough interest to get it going.
The problem is a lot of people will just fence sit, and watch what is being said and done, rather than voicing their own opinions, which is a shame, but thats life.
However, as I said previously, I could never be top gun, but I would give a running club every support and help that I possibly could.
I'm a great believer in the saying, better to try and fail than never too have tried at all. (or whatever it is) :)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jen21 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Count me in on the running club idea too, i think its a great idea but im the same as you ninja...dont have a scooby on the rules & regulations that go with it. Im more than happy to help out, im sure if we can get everyone together that is totally interested in the idea to have a "meeting" then we can hear everyones points, ideas, pro's & cons etc etc. Put me down anyway DJD.
jen21
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Pans Lass » Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Ninja Mania wrote:The problem is a lot of people will just fence sit, and watch what is being said and done, rather than voicing their own opinions, which is a shame, but thats life.

I'm a great believer in the saying, better to try and fail than never too have tried at all. (or whatever it is) :)

Ninja , its not a matter of a running club failing , it WILL work , you just need the commitment and time to organise one and thats where you find the ones sitting on the fence waiting for this to happen so they can join in and there is nothing wrong with that either as we see with the Wee Toon Runners . I have been involved in committees all my adult life playing some role and know the work involved to make it successful and would love to be part of the new running club and give my time but personally I am on another 4 already and cant commit to another one at the moment but that is not to say I wont support one . A meeting as you suggested would be the first step .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Some interesting posts on the topic, certainly a lot to think about! Myself, Stuart and Tommy M def interested in being part of a running club of some sorts. I think a lot more folk will be interested too.

I think it would just be great to be part of that 'team' spirit as it would be great to go away and represent the area at competitions with our club colours on 8) As well as having some good nights out now and again and share race stories ;-)

Jog Scotland have done a tremendous job in the town for getting everyone out and on to the pavements running especially for beginners including myself a few years ago but I felt as though once you have progressed from the weeknight intermediate groups and you wanted to continue further there wasn't anywhere to go as a group and i think that's where a running club could possibly work? As I know the JS leaders are busy enough with their sessions to operate any more. It's so much better to train with others than be on your own!

You could maybe just keeping informal meetings/training sessions that some currently do like the Tuesday & Thursday 6pms and Sat/Sun mornings and people can turn up and join in as they wish as well as incorporating the WTR handicap series and maybe a few other events over the year. You could pay an annual subscription to be a member that would cover a few of the costs for example SA affiliation, priority entry to race ballot and club top etc

It would be great just to encourage and support people as they train for races and help others get entered for some of the 'biggies'. We could maybe have a wee noticeboard area in/outside the Aqua with info and keep up to date with race reports/training schedules on forum or website/facebook page. I've spoke to a few others from other clubs including mid argyll tri and cycle club and they think a club down here could work really well.

The SKSC sports council can help get the club up and running (excuse the pun) as well as possibly provide funding and advice with affiliation/rules. I'd be happy to help out in some way or get a meeting together to look into it further. :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 am

hi all

the postings are good and some of the ideas are good, just wish we had this forum when we had the running club, would have been great to have gotten everybodys views on what direction they wanted it to go instead of the few who felt they knew what they were talking about, but didnt really know anything worth listening to. From what I have read here you seem to be functioning very well as a group of runners as it is, there seems to be 2-3 groups of various abilities and each group seems to cross over into another groups ability if and when the circumstances arise, whether that is in the form of support for getting to and from races or advice on training programmes, but it does seem to work well as it is, It would be a pity to loose that close connection for the sake of an affiliation to an organisation that may not bring you what you want.

The Scottish AAA will at the most give you insurance cover if in an accident, a reduced rate of possibly 25% on entry into races (£2.50maximum reduction into most races), and 2-3 maximum entries into the London Marathon only, It will not give you automatic entry into every race in the UK of Scotland, every other race you enter will need to be through a standard ballot system.

Today we have the internet that allows us to find out things like when and where races are on at the drop of a hat, it allows us to buy a wide range of sports gear, it allows us to map our routes and build our own personal running log and share the information with our friends, years ago if we were lucky someone managed to get a copy of runners world or athletics weekly from the courier office or George McMillans so that you we find out what races were on or to find a training schedule and runners log to photo copy for everybody else, you dont need the SAAA for any of this whereas before you did as you were limited on how you found out about things.

The point Im trying to make is yes it would be nice for you to be part of the SAAA but its not the bee all and end all of it, you have a very successful half marathon thats well attended and gets great reviews, you have a cross country relay thats well attended and is growing in stature, you are all running regularly and racing regularly, you are growing in numbers and you have achieved all that in a short time without the existance of a running club, dont spoil it by jumping into something that will leave the few with all the work and the masses doing none of it

Most of you on here I have known for a long number of years and one thing jumps out and hits me in the face about a lot of you,that is that you are and have been the backbone of the majority of sporting activities in the area for the past 25-35 years, you are the diehards, you are there at the coffee mornings, you are there at the race nights, you are there at the midweek training sessions and you are there at the match days and you are there at the committee meetings. When I first read Fiona's thoughts, I thought it was a bit negative but I have to say that I think she has been very honest in what she has said to you and has spelled out what could happen if everybody concerned is not prepared to take their share of the work, manys a night I seen her at the community centre having to organise everything before during and after her Jazzersize and Footnotes class and it was hard work and she always remained upbeat and enthusiastic about it. I know that a lot of you will have experienced that commitment urselves before, so be careful in what you decide to do, dont ruin the good thing that you already have got going, nurture the idea and let it blossom slowly

these are the thoughts of an outsider looking in and not meant to offend anybody

DJD

I did London last weekend, was not overly impressed with end time, but was 6 weeks short on my training, my half time I was happy with as I know in an open race I could easily have been 10mins quicker, have not run since as was taking a full week off, will hit the road again tonight night and hopefully get my half time down a bit for the MOK, its work in progress

I was well impressed by the performance of the local runners in London, they all did very ,very well, especially on a day that was not really the most perfect for running, a little too hot I think towards the end, but not as hot as last year thankfully. I think the first timers should take heart knowing that London is not the best marathon in the world to get a good time in because of the vast numbers and im almost certain that in a less crowded race their times would have been much quicker, now they have done one, there will be no stopping them.

weetoonplodder
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat