sailors grave

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

sailors grave

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:21 am

Does anyone know anything about the Sailors Grave on the west side at Ballochroy, My father showed it to me when i was a kid and I remember going up the road between the forestry trees (now cut down) and the grave stone was on the left hand side. My dad told me that it was the grave of a man washed in on the beach at Ballochroy. I recently tried to find it again, and had no joy, it could be overgrown or destroyed when the forestry were harvesting. Does this ring a bell for anyone? x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 pm

There's a Sailor's Grave featured on the Geograph website at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/62041 but that's south and west of Machrihanish at grid ref NR598166.

There's a cist marked on the OS map at Ballochroy near to NR730524. Might that be it? The cist at Grogport is also called the Sailor's Grave.

The OS Get-a-Map website is good for this sort of stuff.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:47 pm

the cist at ballochroy is part of the standing stones arrangement at ballochroy, the woods where the gravestone was is a bit further along just past the minen turning. Thanks anyway Gary but you were no help at all!!!!!!!! :twisted:

(Don't worry everyone, Gary knows I'm joking)
x :D
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:42 pm

Sorry, Witchy-woo, you'll just have to resort to your crystal ball instead.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion