Funeral Intimations

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Funeral Intimations

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm

We are thinking of asking for local Funeral Intimations to be posted on the forum. However, before we do this we were wondering what the users of the forum's views on this are?

The concept would be to create a separate forum for the intimations to be posted. We also thought the area should be locked and threads can only be posted by Kintyre Forum News. The other side of this is that people may wish to leave messages of condolence etc which we know can be hugely comforting. Perhaps another area of Rememberance would be suitable?

There are a number of reasons that we feel should drive this news and while it is indeed sad news it is important news to such a small tight knit community. The internet now plays a huge part in most peoples lives and news can be delivered faster than traditional methods now. A huge proportion of people with Kintyre connections stay all over the world and simply cannot pick this news up from the local newspaper or shop window.

Just wondered what users of the forum thought about this.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Funeral Intimations

Postby Bertie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm

A really good idea KFN. I'm not sure I would pass on my condolences over the forum, I'm a bit old fashioned in that respect, but I would appreciate seeing the funeral intimations as so many are missed by not seeing them in the shop windows. An inovative use of the forum.
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby kmc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Good Idea.
Kenny
kmc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby mrn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Think it is a great idea and would certainly suit us who stay in the country. We often miss news not being in the town on a regular basis and it can be rather frustrating to read in the Courier after the funeral that someone has passed away that you knew. As Bertie says, an innovative idea.
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Really good idea
Last edited by Isa on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby chuckiebay » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Great Idea!
chuckiebay
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Kintyre Forum News wrote:We are thinking of asking for local Funeral Intimations to be posted on the forum. However, before we do this we were wondering what the users of the forum's views on this are?

I started to put people I knew on the Goat website KFN, I thought it would be nice for ex pats home and abroad to pass on their condolenses.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 pm

jdcarra wrote:
Kintyre Forum News wrote:We are thinking of asking for local Funeral Intimations to be posted on the forum. However, before we do this we were wondering what the users of the forum's views on this are?

I started to put people I knew on the Goat website KFN, I thought it would be nice for ex pats home and abroad to pass on their condolenses.

Yes, have seen them and always a nice personal touch too JD.

There has been a few over the years on here too but was hoping to get the official intimations which detail funeral arrangements etc so people know they can come on here and find them anytime, any hour.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 am

Good suggestion. Has certainly caught me out in the past and I check this website 2 or 3 times at least every week.
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 2socks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 am

Yes,a good idea ! As well as cyberspace Intimation's, online memorial is rising in popularity aswell,as it is an effective way
of brining together a community of grieving people who are geographically scattered.
For many who have lost loved one's,visiting a churchyard or crematoriam is not allway's possible.They might live too far away,might dread crying in public or find the journey too difficult.These increasingly popular site's allow people to be able to remember and commemorate together,wherever they are,whenever they wish.
Unlike obituaries,an online memorial reflects the grief and memories of the bereaved as much as the life and character of
the deceased and so is much more of a living testimony than an historical record.They each serve their purpose but the memorial is designed to help the next of kin in the process of grieving whilst the obituary is more a matter of fact for the public,which should be left for the courier,(when required).
2socks
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Mousireid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 am

I am all for it. Being overseas sometimes the news reaches me later than I would like, especially to offer condolences via snail mail if not a phone call. Not being morbid and sometimes put my foot in things when people *think* they have told me but did not. :(
Mousireid
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Annie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 am

Any news on the decision to add intimations to the forum??
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 am

I think the idea of putting cards on the screen is good, similar to putting a note in the window.
At the risk of being disrespectful, not keen on everyone posting their condolances on-line.
A few reasons for this, I have heard of inappropriate posts on face-book walls (doubt that would happen here,but).
I could see it becoming a popularity poll (when I go, believe me I wont care) and personally I have never been that keen on the Dianesque gushings that has become common.
Sorry if this seems flippant but it may be worth thinking about.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Isa » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

gizmo wrote:I think the idea of putting cards on the screen is good, similar to putting a note in the window.
At the risk of being disrespectful, not keen on everyone posting their condolances on-line

Agree with that Gizmo. Just the card with the details.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby mrn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm

It surely would help those of us who are not in the town every day. I recently missed a funeral because I read the card the day after the funeral when I was in town for the first time in a week.
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Local News and Issues