kilkeddan

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

kilkeddan

Postby Lorna Mac » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:42 pm

This has been recently discovered (click on Kilkeddan cist findings.) Very interesting.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/ind ... eology.htm
Lorna Mac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:19 pm

Good posting Lorna - is this just past Stewarton on left on the Southend road?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lorna Mac » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:29 pm

Hi Davie

Kilkeddan is first farm on your left past the Lodge at Peninver. I think there is a few ruins near the farm. Possibly someone on this forum will have a better idea

Lorna
Lorna Mac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Lorna Mac wrote:Hi Davie

Kilkeddan is first farm on your left past the Lodge at Peninver. I think there is a few ruins near the farm. Possibly someone on this forum will have a better idea

Lorna

How did you know my name! :shock: :wink:

Oops :oops: :oops: - of course it is past Peninver :oops: :oops: :oops: - the young Dott fla will rip me to shreds on this one!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Hey that's cool 8) Ina never said a word either. :shock:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Dunc » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:02 pm

Anyone interested in the Archaeology of Kintyre could benefit greatly from Francis Hoods booklet on the area.
Funny you mentioned Stewarton as just past it opposite Killeonan on a farm road to the West is the remains of an old Chapel...NGR687181. its quite visible from the main road.Most people dont know of the existance of dozens of those places.But as I say try getting the book you wont regret it.

Dunc.
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Nancie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:28 am

The Kilkeddan cist is very similar to one discovered by the late Eddie Brodie when excavating the ground for the new hospital at Ralston Road. It also contained human remains. It was taken by the National Museum of Scotland and don't know what happened to it after that.

Also taken to Edinburgh five flints found at Auchenhoan by a young boy around the same time.

Wouldn't it be great to get these artefacts back to our museum while we still have it.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 pm

Yes it would. I may be wrong but I'd imagine the five flints you mention are languishing in a numbered drawer in some dusty storeroom, along with any number of others, instead of being on public display.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Nancie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 pm

Correct.

Now I'm going to contact the National Museums of Scotland and see if we can have them back
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion