Maclean/Mclean's research in the Campbeltown Area

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Maclean/Mclean's research in the Campbeltown Area

Postby qumackl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 am

I have 2 questions that I hope someone my be able to point me in the right direction. First question is that I'm researching my family and would like to get a official copy of my GF birth records. Where would I get such records? His name is Charles McLean born 17 Dec 1884, parents Alexander McLean mother Mary Conley, Campbeltown area. Second questions is I've been able to track his links back to Duncan McLean b.1760? who married Margaret Hair, His father I think is Dugald McLean b.?? and wife Barbara Mcdugald ??. I would like if possible to be able to trace a little farther back if possible but the records online are limited. Can someone help?
qumackl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Maclean/Mclean's research in the Campbeltown Area

Postby Shona » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm

You can get your grandfather's birth details from Scotland's People. You will have to buy credits to view and print the image.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Oh - forgot to say welcome to the Kintyre Forum!

I wonder if you would mind saying where you got the info about the Mcleans from, please. I noticed that there are some publlic trees on Ancestry and a user-submitted tree on Family Search which contains the same info. These trees are very helpful, but I find it wise to double-check the info to make sure it is correct - especially with a more common name like McLean. I've got several McLeans in my family tree, but can't trace them further back with any certainty :( .

Here's what I've checked and confirmed so far, using a combination of Family Search, Ancestry and Find my Past. Unless otherwise stated, all births are in Campbeltown.

1891 census - Smith's Land, Lady Mary Row, Campbeltown
Alexander McLean, head, 32, baker
Mary Mclean, wife, 27
Charles, son, 6
John, son, 4
Duguald, son, 2
Alexander, son, 7 months

1881 census - High Street
Dugald McLean, head, 47, fishermen
Helen McLean, wife, 41
Alexander, son, 23, baker
Dugald, son, 21, mason
Charles, son, 18, Apprentice ship riveter
Robert, son, 16, baker's apprentice
Maragret, daughter, 14, dom servant
Donald, son, 6, scholar
William, son, 3

1871 - High Street
Donald McLean, head, 38, distillery workman
Ellen McLean, wife, 31
Alexander, son, 13
Dugald, son, 11
Charles, son, 8
Robert, son, 5
Margaret, daughter, 4
Flora, daughter, 10 months

1861 - High Street
Dougald Mclean, head, ??
Helen McLean, wife, 21
Alexander, son 3
Dougald, son, 1

I have confirmed the following birth dates for the children of Dougald and Helen. Donald married Helen McNaughton 15 December 1857, so Helen was pregnant when she married.
- Alexander, 20 Feb, 1858
- Dugald, 10 Dec 1859
- Charles, 11 April 1862
- Robert, 24 June 1864
- Margaret, 10 Aug 1866
- Flora, 24 June 1870
- Barbara, 21 July 1872
- Donald, 11 June 1874

There is a birth for a Dugald McLean in Campbeltown on 7 October 1793, son of Duncan McLean and Margaret Hair - Hair isn't a Kintyre name that I've come across before. Could it be McNair which has been mistransribed?

Duncan McLean and Margaret Hair married in Campbeltown on 24 December 1792 and had the following children:

- Dugald, 7 Oct 1793
- Robert, 16 Dec 1795
- Margaret, 29 Dec 1799
- Daniel, 15 Feb 1802
- Rose, 27 March 1803
- Janet, 23 May, 1805

As the same names keep cropping up, then I would say that this is the correct branch.

I've also found the following in the 1841 census:

Ballegreggan, Campbeltown
Robert McLean, head, 45, ag lab
Agnes, 40
Flora, 10
James, 8
John, 6
Margaret, 80

Although the 1841 census rarely gives familial relationships, we can assume the Margaret above is Margaret Hair.

Although there are several Duncan McLean births in Campbeltown in the 1770s, the one that is the best fit is the one baptised on 24 April 1764, son of Dugald McLean and Barbara McDougall. There are just three baptisms for children of Dugald McLean and Barbara McDougall in Campbeltown:

- Dugald, 4 Aug 1760 - likely to have died young
- Dugald, 24 Feb 1764
- Mary, 8 Feb 1769

Unfortunately, the 1860 record appears to be the earliest McLean record in Campbeltown which implies that your McLean family moved to Campbeltown from elsewhere. If it was Tiree, then you will find there are an awful lot of McLeans on that island!

It gets more difficult going further back because not all parish records survive or indeed go back that far. So you will have to look at other sources, as well as Scotland's people and Family Search (which has the benefit of being free).

Here are a a few of the other sources I use - most are available online, but some require a subscription to view. The problem is that most tend to track the better off, so many people aren't included.

- Kintyre Hearth Tax, 1694
I had a quick glance but couldn't see any McLeans in Campbeltown who were eligible for the Hearth Tax. However, there is a Soirle McDougall.
- Kintyre rentals - from 1600s
- Land tax rolls, 1645-1831
- Carriage tax, 1785-1798
- Cart tax, 1785-1798
- Tax on non working dogs, 1797-1798
- Working Horse Tax, 1797-1798
- Duke of Argyll inhabitants, 1792 - I only have Killean parish, so can't check for you.
- Hugh Ralston's Kintyre genealogy website - excellent for Kintyre cemeteries
- Inverary Jail records, in case you have some crims in the family. As you are a Mclean, then you may be related to Kintyre's very own Resurrection Man, John McLean, my gg grandfather. There is info on him on this website.

All the best,

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Shona wrote:You can get your grandfather's birth details from Scotland's People. You will have to buy credits to view and print the image.

And here's a link to get an official extract:

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby qumackl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Shona,

Thanks for the details. I did get information for Alexander and Helen (Mcnaugton, Caradale area) Mclean my GGG grandparents from family members and copies of birth/death certificates. Where I think I was able to track to 1793 with some acuracy after that it's a guess. However, It looks like Margaret may be the Margaret Hair in some of the pulls I've done. I also found a Donald born to Dugald and Barbara Mcdugald 1759/60. You mentioned records stoped at 1860 did you mean 1760? I've aslo been looking at Islay/Jura area where I believe were a line of Mclean.

Thanks again!!!
qumackl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Shona » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes - I meant that the earliest McLean record I could find in C/T was 1760 using Family Search and Ancestry.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tigrib » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I have extracted some Alexander, Dugald and Duncan McLeans from the 1792 List of Inhabitants of the Duke of Argyll's Kintyre Census in case they help you (or others) further in your research.

1792 List of Inhabitants Argyll (McLeans).pdf
(216.55 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Last edited by Tigrib on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigrib
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Tigrib » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I forgot to mention that there were no McLeans at Ballegregan nor Ballegrogan (Parish of Killchivan) in 1792.
Tigrib
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby qumackl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Tigrib wrote:I have extracted some Alexander, Dugald and Duncan McLeans from the 1792 List of Inhabitants of the Duke of Argyll's Kintyre Census in case they help you (or others) further in your research.

1792 List of Inhabitants Argyll (McLeans).pdf

Tigrib,

Thanks for the census pull. How would I find the parents of Duncan McLean listed in your attachment (22 born est 1770).
qumackl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby qumackl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 am

I'm looking for assistance in finding any Mcleans living in the Campbeltown or Argyll area who's great or great grand parents were children of Dugald and Helen (Mcnaugton) Mclean circa 1858: (Caradale area)

Alexander married Mary Conley (1883)
Dugald,
Charles,
Robert,
Maragret,
Donald,
William,
qumackl
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy