Duke of Argyll Inhabitants 1792

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Duke of Argyll Inhabitants 1792

Postby Shona » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm

I have a list of inhabitants in Killean parish, but none of the other parishes. You used to be able to buy the book from the Scottish Genealogy Society, but they no longer have any. I know that Campbeltown Library has a copy, but I live hundreds of miles away - Grrrrr. Would any members have info on any of the other parishes in Kintyre? Thanks.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Duke of Argyll Inhabitants 1792

Postby duncanmclean1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi Shona. I had the same problem but managed to pick up a second hand copy on the internet. I searched Amazon and ebay regularly and eventually one popped up in an Oxfordshire bookshop, not too far from where I live. It was in good condition and cost me £10.79 inc P&P last May. I want to hang on to it but would be happy to use it try to answer any of your research questions until you manage to obtain your own copy.
duncanmclean1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Thank you for the hint to check eBay and Amazon, which I will do religiously from now on! And an even bigger thank you for offering to do a look-up.

The name I am currently researching is McIsaac (and variants!). I have all the McIsaacs in Killean, Southend and Campbeltown, but recently found out that the ones I needed had strayed to Kilcalmonell and Kilberry parish. If you could do a check on that parish, please, that would be brilliant.

Thank you again and all the best for Christmas and New Year.

Shona

PS As you are a McLean, are you connected (as I am) to Kintyre's Resurrection Man, John Mclean? There are posts on the forum about him.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby duncanmclean1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 am

No problem Shona, I'll take a look for McIsaacs tomorrow and probably PM my findings to you unless they could be of general interest to the Forum. Which variants of the surname are you aware of? Presumably you've exhausted the OPRs and graveyard inscriptions?

You mention Resurrection Man, aka John McLean. I'm aware of my fellow McLean and his exploits but as far as I'm aware we're not related however my grandfather, my GGF and my GGGGF were all named John McLean, as were my uncle and various other family members. I've traced my own paternal line back to John McLean (b. abt. 1752) and living at Aros (in the Laggan, between Campbeltown and Machrihanish) in 1771 but by the time of the 1792 census had moved into Campbeltown where he was a gardener. His son Lachlan (b. Campbeltown, 1789) became a tailor, had a son John McLean (b. Campbeltown, 1818) but moved to Paisley in the 1820s where my own father was born several generations later. 'Resurrection Man' was born in 1808 so could only be related to me through Lachlan's brother Allan (b. 1777 but I know nothing of his family, if indeed he had one), through a brother of my GGGGF (again no information) or through earlier ancestors. I think I've exhausted all documentary sources and even been DNA tested so if you know anything I don't then please let me know!
duncanmclean1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby duncanmclean1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello again Shona. On consulting my copy of the 1792 census I realise what I perhaps should have remembered last night which is that Kilcalmonell and Kilberry parishes are not included, presumably because the Duke's property did not extend that far north in Kintyre. There are 64 McIsaacs listed in the 1792 census for the other parishes which you presumably have already? You didn't say that you had data from Kilchenzie parish but there is only one McIsaac listed there, at Corylach - Mary McIsaac, aged 65 and listed with John McKay (68) and 3 other McKays of ages 19 to 25.

There may well have been McIsaacs in Kilcalmonell and Kilberry but not living on the Duke's property just as there may have been some McIsaacs in the other parishes but on property owned by someone else. OPRs are your best bet for these but as you probably know there are significant gaps even in these records. Also, presumably you have seen the brief entry for MacIsaac in Angus Martin's excellent 'Kintyre Families' where he references individuals back to the 16th century. If not I can send you a copy of the entry.

Going back to the McLeans though, what is your link with 'Resurrection Man' and where are you now if you are, as you said, hundreds of miles from Campbeltown?
duncanmclean1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Shona » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks for looking, Duncan - appreciate it. I've got Angus Martin's books and have been through the OPRs, too. I think I have the link between the Kilcalmonell and Kilberry McIsaacs to the Southend McIsaacs through a long process of elimination and tracing families forward. But I have a gap from when they were born in Southend to appearing in the census and the Duke's stuff would have helped confirm my theory.

I live in Lincolnshire at the moment, so it's a bit of a hike to get to C/Town. My sister is visiting Kintyre at Easter - just need to persuade her to go to the library!

As regards John McLean, he is my great-gran's father. She was the youngest of John McIsaacs 17 children. She married Duncan McIsaac in Killean parish - she was his second wife.

Shona
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby duncanmclean1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 pm

No problem Shona, I'm happy to help and anything is worth a try. I see there are a few McIsaacs amongst the Old Kilkerran Graveyard inscriptions - have you covered those off and the other Kintyre graveyards by way of http://www.ralstongenealogy.com?

Your link to John McLean is very interesting - I suppose every family has a black sheep lurking somewhere! You're right about Lincolnshire being a long way from Campbeltown and just about as inconvenient as Buckinghamshire I suppose. We managed to visit this summer and last but it's too far to be an annual trip I'm afraid.
duncanmclean1
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jaamccallum » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello, Shona,
I, too, have been having trouble finding a copy of the 1792 census and as i live even further south than you its hard getting information. could you perhaps do a lookup for me, please in the Killean section?

My Great (x3) Grand father was Edward McCallum who, I believe, came from Killean Parish, perhaps the Moniemore area. According to my late father's notes he married a Janet McMurchy from Sunadale and they had 4 children - Donald, Duncan, Janet and Neil, although i cannot find any proof or dates. Donald was born around 1806, I believe in the Moniemore area. There is a stone in Killean churchyard (which i have a photograph of) that records the burial of Donald's mother Janet, brother Duncan, himself and his wife Christina, but nothing about Edward.
Can you find any record of an Edward McCallum in the 1792 census that might fit the bill?
Grateful for any help.
regards
jaamccallum
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby MarionAn » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Whether this is of any interest, but in googling I got this site:

http://auchindrain.wikidot.com/duke-of- ... nscription
MarionAn
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby gray_marian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:11 am

MarionAn, Thank you for sharing, every little helps. :)
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby kisolini » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm

I was recently able to purchase and download a copy of the 1792 census from Tanner Ritchie Publishing, who are the new agents for Scottish Record Society (since March 2014). Also, by way of introduction, I've recently found my great grandmother's people in Ontario were from Kintyre (Milloy, Beaton) and Islay (McFadyen, McLean). This forum has been very helpful as I wander through this new part of the world.
kisolini
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cdawg47 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:15 am

I have a Martha Milloy who was married to my 5th gUnkle James McMurchy who lived in Ontario and Came from Scottland
cdawg47
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy