The history of Fessenden

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

The history of Fessenden

Postby Malky » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 pm

Spoke to Dunc earlier today and he asked me to publicise an article written by the Fessenden Project Team from Campbeltown. It's a history of Reginald Fessenden which they put together for the Kintyre Mag.

Its too long to put on here so I've put it into a .pdf file and if you wish to read it, it can be found at the following link.

http://www.kintyreforum.com/files/fessenden.pdf

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Hmm

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:54 am

Just read the Fessenden article. Very, very interesting stuff!!!!!!

Great bit of forgotten history!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Fessie

Postby Dunc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks Malky..
There,s a lot more than that to be told.....
Hopefully we will get a small memorial with info boards on the site and get the "road" spruced up a bit and get a small area of hardstanding for cars to sit at the site . Possibly a couple of bins for the vandals to put their old spray paint tins in after spraying the boards......must keep it tidy...
Actually on the funding side things are ok with help promised from A.I.E. and others once we go thru all the hoops. Landowner also all for the idea...

Thanks interest folks

Duncan
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Cool!

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Dunc

Please keep the board updated on your progress, and thanks for posting.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Fessenden

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:58 am

Keep up the great work Dunc :) You and the team are doing a grand job. My wee nephew told me his class are doing something with regards to Fessenden later in the year.
Oh and I will get the pics on the site soon, been soooooooo busy lately.
All the best
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:39 pm

What a fascinating man. I found another article that includes quite a few photos of the man and some other nformation.

http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/his ... enden.html

I am from Buffalo, NY, right near Niagara Falls. Fessenden built the first power generating station at Niagara Falls. I am wondering why I grew up with the likes of Thomas Edison, Marconi, Alexander Graham Bell imbedded in my brain, but I don't recall ever hearing of Fessenden. His inventions are amazing, and the Christmas Eve radio broadcast story is enough to send chills through anyone. It seems he spent so many years fighting legal battles that cost so much money, that you have to wonder what else this great mind would have offered the world had he been free of the those stresses.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Fessenden

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Quite right Bobbie, apparently as clever as he was he didn't do so well when it came to the business side of things.
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

WoW!

Postby Annie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Great article Bobbie, and very, very interesting too! I agree with you. Why did we hear so much about Marconi, who was two steps behind Fessenden or more, and not Fessenden himself? That is just sad!
Last edited by Annie on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Fessenden.

Postby Dunc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:52 am

Strangely enough this is the reaction we keep getting...Fessenden??? who???.
Hopefully we are gradually getting it changed..certainly BBC not finished with it yet and a couple of film companies also ..one Italian?? Instituto Barlumen who have I'm sure a very good website if I could understand it..
There are many many sites on web just "google" Fessenden Brant Rock or Machrihanish and you can get a wealth of gen..even NOAA has an interesting photo of him with his fathometer long time ago.
There's just three of us doing the leg work for him at the moment here and of course
Nancie Smith is doing great with the schools linking up between Campbeltown and Brant Rock.Even got the Canadian Govt.wanting to get involved locally later on.
Plus there may soon be a postcard of the subject created with any profits going to Picture House.Also a booklet being produced by Donald Kelly is in the offing..

Cheers

Dunc
Duncan
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local History and Discussion