Kintyre Way Meeting

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Kintyre Way

Postby Johnnie Walker » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Regarding the Kintyre Way.

Have you been asked for your thoughts on this? Has there been any form of public discussion or debate? Do you think it is a good idea?

I get the impression that these are questions that have very carefully not been asked.

This may not be a terribly popular thing to say, but imagine the effect that the proposed 5,000 people a year will have, especially on the wilderness between Machrihanish and Southend. No extra toilets or facilities. Wild camping everywhere and all the human waste that it entails. That has started even now, as anyone who has visited the Galdrings last summer or even this week will know. And that is without publicity. That which is remote will no longer be so. Even if 95% of visitors behave responsibly, that still leaves hundreds of people who will not.

Yet there is no provision to clear up their damage and litter.

It also involves considerable danger. Large amounts of hazardous road walking - up the brae on this side of Saddell and right along the main road from Campbeltown to Machrihanish, to mention but two. Novice walkers, those who need waymarks to find a route, will have no concept of being caught out exposed on the Mull in a sudden mist or gale.

Yet there will be no rangers to assist them.

This is an ill conceived path, being pushed on us, farmers and public alike. Promoted by one enthusiastic Forestry Commission worker, whose job it is... but predominantly by a few recent incomers with tourist businesses well north of Campbeltown, who wish to sell Kintye for their own personal benefit; to quote their own words, as a “brand”.

I write not only as an incomer myself, albeit a few years ago now, but also as one whose wife runs a B&B and also as one of a family of walkers. We welcome visitors, but we would far rather lose any extra business and paths, than see Kintyre spoiled.

The land is available to all, now.

For a few vested outside interests to prostitute it for the sake of their own profit and in the process to kill the very soul that makes it so special...

I vote no, no Way.

Or, at least, I would have if I had been asked.
Johnnie Walker
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Jeanette » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 pm

I have to agree with most of the points that JW has said.

We all have access to the coastal path along past the shipyard and the walk is well used and enjoyed by many people but a very small element spoil it for others. It is supposed to be for walkers but some use it for biking and even motorbikes and vehicles have been known to use it. The farmer put up a wooden gate and it has been destroyed. There is a bridge over a burn that is full of debris and litter.

This path is only a small distance compared to the one proposed for the walk and if that is an example of how it will be treated it won't be long before it becomes an eyesore the length of Kintyre.

I am sure we all know that one of the most difficult things to find as soon as you enter the Kintyre peninsula are litter bins.

The walk sounds a really good idea but is it worth it if it is going to cause damage to the countryside by the minority.

I wasn't at the meeting so maybe I missed the points concerning the solution to litter and toilet facilities. What do the landowners who have livestock in the fields along the way think??

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Lad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:46 pm

Put it this way Jeanette I wouldn't be happy with hoardes of walkers trekking through my land. Alof of valid points in the last two posts.

Does anyone know if there were public meetings about this - prior to it all starting?

Many positives for the area - in attracting people here but like Johnny and Jeanette I can't help but feel that the area will suffer.

What is the route anyway?
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kintyre Lad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:57 pm

And another thing where are they all going to stay? :shock:
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Good points by the three of you.

I'm only hoping someone will reply from the Kintyre Way as they are aware of the board and this thread.

There actually was a question at the meeting from the audience alongs the lines of have they encountered problems with the public with regards this opening and their recaction to the potential change this walk could cause?

Can I just point out to those who are involved in the Kintyre Way and who may be reading this that this is an open discussion board and the views are representative of the members and not necessarily the community but may act as a good forum for you to indulge in public opinion. Phew - that’s me covered before someone else goes off on me on one!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:18 pm

Kintyre Lad wrote:Put it this way Jeanette I wouldn't be happy with hoardes of walkers trekking through my land. Alof of valid points in the last two posts.

Does anyone know if there were public meetings about this - prior to it all starting?

Many positives for the area - in attracting people here but like Johnny and Jeanette I can't help but feel that the area will suffer.

What is the route anyway?

Does anyone know if there were public meetings about this - prior to it all starting.

Seems to be a cloak and dagger affair. Nobody seems to know much about the initial startup of this idea.

The first notice of this intended project came to my attention when I was Chairman of the EKCC some years back when we received a letter from Bob Chicken of Tarbert for our support with this Walkway,( I may have a copy of letter from Bob). Despite asking then for further info on route taken etc, etc it was kept under hat, awaiting landowners permission and further investigation.

To this day has any one seen plans of the route?

Bob Chicken and Marcus Adams of Carradale Hotel are two of the people we should be be asking, and surely they must be reading these posts as a vested interest in the Kintyre Way from the word go. Failing a reply from any I will ask around.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:59 pm

AFAIK all landowners have been consulted about the proposed route and the path to be used through each property crossed by the Kintyre Way agreed with those affected. When this was first proposed a few years back, I remember receiving a letter about it, I presume because I was a landowner. As it turned out the route chosen passes through my neighbours land and not through any of mine. Where the route passes through fields that contain livestock, it is being fenced off to protect both livestock and walkers.

Someone mentioned the section from Campbeltown to Machrihanish along the main road as being a hazard. I believe the organisers hope that walkers will take the bus for this section in the interim, and the intention is to get access to a narrow band of land adjacent to the road sometime in the future (fenced off of course). This would enable walkers to trek safely.

I'm not defending the organisers of the Kintyre Way in any way here, but everyone should remember that most of the tracks in the Kintyre Way can be walked along freely at the moment - it doesn't need this Kintyre Way "branding" for that. The majority of the Way will be along forestry tracks anyway.

I know from personal experience the damage and litter that can be left behind from people who walk over my land, but to be honest there is much more litter in my fields that border the main road. The number of plastic bottles etc. that I pick up is amazing. I am also amazed at the distance some of these items land from the road. If there was an Olympic sport for flinging rubbish out a car I'm sure there are some gold medal winners out there. :roll:

Personally I hope the walkway is a success as anything that gets folk off their fat ar$es and gets them exercising is a good idea. :twisted:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:03 am

Malky wrote:I know from personal experience the damage and litter that can be left behind from people who walk over my land, but to be honest there is much more litter in my fields that border the main road. The number of plastic bottles etc. that I pick up is amazing. I am also amazed at the distance some of these items land from the road. If there was an Olympic sport for flinging rubbish out a car I'm sure there are some gold medal winners out there. :roll:

Malky

What I have always found strange is that people who would never dream of dumping an ashtray on their floor, flinging a milk carton or throwing sundry other trash around their own living rooms, think nothing of throwing it where we all live.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 am

I went to the public meeting in the Argyll the other week and asked the question of the officer from the West Highland Way about whether or not there was any public resistance to its development - to which there was. But on the whole she indicated that the vast majority of people were in favour of the WHW as it helped to develop economic activity in communities which had lost a lot of their indigenous industry. She also said that many of fears expressed were allayed after the route became established.

I feel that will be the case here, perhaps a poll can be organised on the forum by anyone who feels strongly about the walk?

My opinion is that change towards a more tourism-based economy is essential if we are to do anything to stop the population haemorrhage from the area. Everyone throws up their hands in horror when a shop shuts and lies empty for years, when a primary school closes, ward shuts or a major public building falls into disrepair these all symptoms of a failing economy.

The walk, the ferry, the golf course could all contribute to improving the local economy but they will bring change which will be less palatable, to some more than others. So long as we are careful about what change occurs, we can strike a balance between keeping Kintyre special, and providing opportunities for economic development.

What is the alternative? Do nothing - not an option. Even if we do nothing there are people looking at this community from the outside who's ideas for development maybe a lot less palatable than those coming from people who live here. Decommissioning of nuclear subs has already been suggested; you can bet that idea or worse has not gone away.

As to the under lying dig at incomers - I am sad to see our children leaving this area for work never to return. I am happy to see people invest, often their life savings to start a small business here - they take on a big personal risk and deserve our support.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:26 pm

I was there at the Argyll meeting too and Malky’s point about the Campbeltown to Machrihanish “Suggested taxi or a bus ride,” is correct. But, from a practical point of view, those doing the whole walk are not going to wish to admit, either to themselves or to anyone else that they “did all of the 89 mile Kintyre Way... apart from a six mile bus ride.” No, realistically speaking, there are going to be walkers on that road. Hundreds, or even thousands, of them. And, with it being a year round walk and Machrihanish being a necessary end of day destination before tackling the Mull, not all of them in daylight, or in good visibility.

Further, as the promoters themselves admitted at the meeting, the reason that this section is still on the road is because they haven’t been able to get some or all of the farmers to agree to the path going across their land. But that they hoped that they would be able to “persuade” them over time when the Way is an up and running fact.

Addressing the points raised by John S, whilst I am in sympathy with nearly all of them, they are largely emotive in nature and do not address any of the practical issues, such as waste and danger management. I would welcome a poll. But first, we need open information, including a map, and we need an informed debate.

Finally, on the subject of John S’s comment about underlying digs at incomers. I think I was the first and only person to mention incomers here and openly stated that I am an incomer myself. But do you remember the old joke about marriage - when a man marries a woman, he hopes that she won’t change... but a woman marries a man hoping that he will (and if he doesn’t do it himself, then she’ll do it for him anyway).

Moving into an area is the start of a long term relationship. There are many incomers who are careful to step lightly themselves and who try to take a balanced position between these two extremes - of change and not change. My point was meant to be, however, that there are other incomers who, upon moving into an area, immediately try to alter it to suit their own purposes. I apologise if I was not sufficiently clear on that point. I was trying to keep my posting as short as possible.
Johnnie Walker
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby John S » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:52 pm

Johnnie Walker wrote:Regarding the Kintyre Way.

Has there been any form of public discussion or debate?

I get the impression that these are questions that have very carefully not been asked.

Yet there is no provision to clear up their damage and litter..

Yet there will be no rangers to assist them.

For someone who was at the meeting you seem very ill informed, did you not stay very long? I am aware from it that The Kintyre Way has been, from its initial concept 3 or 4 years ago, in and out of the local press, discussed at a wide range of community meetings held in Campbeltown and has requested anyone interested to comment or become involved.

A great many questions have been asked, indeed the previous suggested routes for the way were changed significantly as a result of consultation.

It was made quite clear that a task force of volunteers would be recruited to become involved in the route indeed some folk signed up at the meeting to do so.

I'm sure they said at the meeting there will be a ranger.

For a few vested outside interests to prostitute it for the sake of their own profit and in the process to kill the very soul that makes it so special...

I'm sorry my last post seemed emotive to you, but when you consider your own words above, I think people might agree I’m a poor second on the emotive scale.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Kintyre Way

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:12 pm

John S wrote:For someone who was at the meeting you seem very ill informed, did you not stay very long? I am aware from it that The Kintyre Way has been, from its initial concept 3 or 4 years ago, in and out of the local press, discussed at a wide range of community meetings held in Campbeltown and has requested anyone interested to comment or become involved.

Purely for information sake was their Public Meetings similar to the one held in the Argyll recently? Certainly been in and out of the press and been raised at meetings but I'm not sure there have been many public meetings? Again, no angle on this - just asking. 8) Regards
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Davie, do you practice walking on eggshells at home before you come into the forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Davie, do you practice walking on eggshells at home before you come into the forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes :lol: :lol:

Just I know how easily things can be misinterpreted :wink:

Back to the thread now :lol: :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............................

Postby Annie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:40 pm

I have mixed feelings on this subject, as does everyone else. But basically agree with Malky and some of the others who have voiced concerns. Here's my two cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there are pros and cons to the whole thing! I think basically it is a NICE idea; however, do farmers want clumps of people tromping through their land, leaving their gates open for their livestock to get out onto the road, etc. If it was a set path and people were told they were told to stick to it then it might work. Then there are other concerns, such as toilet and trash facilities. Hmm, think about those things. What about incliment weather too. As we all know, the weather can change quite quickly around the local parts and there needs to be some kind of shelter and maybe some kind of picnic facilities. It goes on and on and on and on and on! Also, what if someone is of need of first aid???????????

Geesh!!!!!!!!

I am getting worn out just thinking about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme a glass of wine!!!!!!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues