Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k race - May 06

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k race - May 06

Postby Tom B » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:21 pm

Are marathons past their sell by date, or would there be support for a local half marathon next year? The run out from the Aqualibrium to Westport, across to Machrihanish and back in to the town is almost exactly thirteen miles and would be a pretty impressive route. I know there used to be various 10ks around the town, but are any still going? Even a handful of runners would make it worthwhile, and might manage to attract a few people down to the town.........
Last edited by Tom B on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:41 pm

Tom

Firstly welcome on board!

Secondly, it is funny you should mention this - John Galbraith from Southend was on about this recently and I thought it was a great idea!

Selling it under the brand of the Mull of Kintyre would help promote it too and may be an idea to hold it just before the Oban half marathon?

I only ever managed across the beach so perhaps we could have tag teams too for the less fit! :-) Would be good for local groups too to raise cash too I am sure.

If the Sports Council ever :shock: call a meeting again I'll raise it but perhaps Nancie or the likes could raise this at the next Community Council meeting?

Regards
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:34 am

Great idea Tom, I've attended on many occasions the Islay half M, and it brings a good number of visitors. Also there are a large number of Kintyre locals who take part in the city races. I think the time is right. Perhaps, as a new event, which attracts bed spaces in a shoulder month, funding could follow without too much effort. Don't run much my self, but who knows could be game for a laugh.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Half marathon

Postby Nancie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:23 pm

CCC used to have a half marathon during Festival Week. Martin Grady was involved with the organisation. It was very popular and attracted a good number of runners.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Sounds great!

I've been out of training - only did 5k this year but doing 10k - Great Scottish Run in September in Glasgow.

I would definitely get my gear on and come home for a half-marathon!! I'm sure I could motivate a group of folk to do it too! Even if not to do it competitively but to run for charity?? Thousands do it in Glasgow - a lot of town folk go up to run the races annually for local and nationwide charities so surely one in the town would be even better?

There is lots of runners groups that I'm sure a lot of people would travel down for a half marathon if marketed/advertised in the right places. I would be willing to help out, just let me know.

Better get training now!!
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:36 pm

Great stuff Elaine McK, Nancie, John S and Davie P.....and dont I know you from somewhere Tom B :roll: :wink:

Anyway, I have lots and lots to say on this subject....I'm sure it could be a real goer.........for what they are worth I will give my thoughts soon...

I'm a keen runner myself and would certainly take part but have been scoffing whisky tonight with unexpected visitors so better wwrite nae merr :roll: :?
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ailsa » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:56 am

:D Sounds like a great idea - I may just be prompted out of my running retirement! :shock:
Ailsa
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby elainemck » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:54 pm

Great!

I have talked to a number of people in and out of the town about this and there certainly is a lot of interest.

I would definitely help organise - just let me know. Getting some info from the organiser of the annual Mull 10k/half marathon which should help.

Best make it the end of May as the womens 10k is usually one of the first two weeks in May in Glasgow and there usually is a big turnout from the town there. Could even use it as a practice run! :D
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

28 May 06

Postby Tom B » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:05 am

Thanks for the good response - looks like this could be a go'er. The Sunday in the bank holiday weekend at the end of May (28th) maybe looks like this could be the best date...(my personal preference would be May rather than later in the year, providing the new pools open by then).....and since a few are talking about coming down the road for it, if its a long weekend, so much the better.

Anybody know of any reason to avoid this date? (ladies 10k in Glasgow is on the 14th may next year) - If not, then we can get this date in the diaries for next year, and start planning the event.

Keeping it simple might be a good idea for planning, and I'll try and get in touch with the contacts mentioned in the posts here, and try and find out the best way to organise it. Having someone involved in the organisation of the race, who has previously organised events in the town would be a good move. Is there a group in the town who would take this on to organise, or could it be organised through this forum?

If we keep it simple, then I'm happy to get involved in the organisation, but also quite happy to let someone who's done it before, and knows what they're doing, take the lead!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:53 am

:wink:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Postby elainemck » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:44 pm

General - they are one and the same thing!

Tom - that weekend seems perfect! I am getting info soon about it and I'm in touch with the Kintyre Schools Sports co-ordinator (Catriona) who is getting further info.

I'm glad to help out and organise! I'm sure we could do a lot of the organising via the forum as long as everyone knows what they are doing and report back.

:lol:
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Nancie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:30 pm

Glad to help if there is anything I can do

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sport » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:42 pm

I think you will find a number of people will help in various ways and communicating via the board would be a good way to encourage others to get in on the act.

I would imagine there are 2 or 3 things that have to be sorted out first of all. The route and contact the council and the Police to see if there are any issues. Anyone else have any other initial thoughts?

Could be a really, really good event for the area...
Please visit the Sports Council's new website and check out our latest news! http://www.southkintyresportscouncil.com
Sport
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:56 pm

It would be great but there are lots and LOTS of things to organise.

Being affiliated to the relevant authority for one....cant quite remember what it is called at the moment. They take a cut of the entry fee and provide insurance and proper certification of the race.

The course would have to be properly measured, I am not sure whether local orgaanisers could do it or whether they send real race curse measurers to do it.

Everybody is suggesting MAy, I honestly think late Aug or any weekend in September would be better. Oban half marathon is on first Sunday in October, any time before that...get in before them!

To get runners to travel here there would need to be an incentive. Runners like PBs, if the Campbeltown/Mull of Kintyre half marathon could offer a near certain PB it would be a real selling point.....that would mean a flat course, no hills, no beaches nothing to slow the hares at the front down...or the plodders behind!

How about starting out at Vestas or the Base fire station? back in the Moss Road, pavement from Stewarton in to town, thendown Big Kiln, along Argyll St then away down towards Killdaloig as far as need be to make the return from there along the Quarry Green path, past the Ferrry Terminal and along Kinloch Road to the new Swimming pool add up to exactly 13.1 miles

That would mean very few up hills, just a wee bits between NATO Jetty and the graveyard...a guaranteed PB.

Of course that would mean buses from town out to the start....we would be looking for near 100 runners, maybe 80 of them needing transportation to the start.......

Maybe a dozen or more stewards would be required as well.......
Lots of sponsorship and help would need to found and much effort out in.

But I am sure it would be a real goer and a great success.

Did not mean to write all this tonight and I have not put things down as well as I meant to be you get the idea anyway.

I will be at Oban 1/2 on 2nd October and will keep a close eye on how they do it...under cover agent sort of thing :wink:
That is a fine event and I enjoy it every year...between 70 and 100 runners...slow, hilly course though.
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby elainemck » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks for info.

I will start looking into some of these things this week. Will post my findings on the board soon.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run