THE BUN THREAD (or Tom Barbour I salute you!)

Details and discussion on the Half Marathon and 10k race being held in Campbeltown on Sunday 29th May 2016 at 10.30am plus general discussion about running in Kintyre! Or visit their website at www.mokrun.com

THE BUN THREAD (or Tom Barbour I salute you!)

Postby rabidcabbage » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Tom Barbour inspired me to start the BUN THREAD. His events have the best post race hospitality bun tables on the circuit. If anyone has food recipes which are good for feeding the heart and soul of us running dudes, fire the details on here.

Can I recommend a recipe for a filling low fat, dietary fibre training aid. I seriously call this a training aid because its helped me lose a few pounds over the months ( I have run out and can't stop eating those McVities Yogurt topped biscuits damn things -tasty though!) It gives a good energy boost between meals.

Ingredients
500g/KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN
500g/caster sugar
1375g/mixed dried fruit
1500 ml/(Use semi skimmed to keep fat content down)
500g self raising flour

Cooking Instructions
Put KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN, sugar and dried fruit into a basin and mix them well together.

Stir in milk and leave ALL-BRAN to stand for half an hour.

Sieve in the flour, mixing well, and pour mixture into 4 well greased 2 lb (900g) loaf tin.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4, for about 1 hour.

The above is actually for 5 loaves but if you divide the mixture between 4 tins it is deeper and moister. Watch cooking time though. I vary temperature and use a skewer frequently to check on cooking process.

And why 4 loaves!. It tastes fantastic, the family will love it and a good supply is needed. Have baked a few dozen of these now and not fed up of it yet. Doesn't need marg or butter but now and again with a wee bit jam is good.

BUN APPETITE! :D
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby rabidcabbage » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:46 pm

What about this one. Great with roast beef and plenty of gravy. Has some fat in it but a wee bit fat is essential in the diet as well. It is a really good comfort food and is fantastic on its own. Plus all the veg are in season now.

Rumbledethumps

Serves 8

1kg/2lb 4oz potatoes
600g/1lb 5oz neeps
100g/4oz butter
400g/14oz Savoy cabbage, finely sliced
50g/2oz cheddar cheese, grated

1. Peel and chop the potatoes and the turnips and boil them together in a large pan of salted water for 25-30 minutes until tender.

2. Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3/fan oven 150C. Drain the vegetables well, return to the pan and cover tightly, then shake over a low heat to dry off completely.

3. Heat half the butter in another pan, add the cabbage (cut out the heavier veins) and cook until just tender but still bright green (3-4 mins). Tip all the buttery cabbage into the potato pan and add the remaining butter. Roughly mash everything together and season with salt and pepper. Tip into an ovenproof dish, top with the cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

Bunjoy :D
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby iceblue » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:00 pm

I like the sound of your 1st recipe rabidcabbage ... it's the kind of thing I like to make myself :)

One of my own favourites is Walnut and Blueberry Muffins that I got out of a Runners World magazine. It's apparently very healthy as it includes antioxidant-rich blueberries, and is lower in fat than ordinary muffins.

125g white self-raising flour
125g wholemeal self-raising flour
60g sugar
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200ml skimmed milk
125g fresh blueberries or 85g dried blueberries
60g walnut pieces

1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C, and line a muffin tin with paper cases.

2. In a bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together the sunflower oil, egg, vanilla and milk then pour into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.

3. Gently fold in the blueberries and walnuts.

4. Spoon the mixture into paper cases, about 2/3 full.

5. Bake for about 20 mins until the muffins rise and turn golden.

Really easy and quick to make ... and they taste good too!
iceblue
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby rabidcabbage » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I'll give the muffins a go Iceblue. Something to have fun with the kids making.

I also want to talk about Bovril, not the cubes but the concentrate in a jar. The ingredients aren't particularly good but after a hard session and needing a wee bit salt in the system to get the balance right and avoid the dehydration sore head.

Try the following but I have to say its all about personal taste (you might think mine is rotten)

1/ Bovril on toast (a wee spread of marg)
2/Bovril on toast, poached egg and ground black pepper
and the best is always last
3/Bovril on bread with lettuce(a wee spread of marg). Dont know why this works but its fab.

Bunlicious! :D
rabidcabbage
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby abbey craig » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:47 pm

`1 large deep fried haggis

1 large portion of chips

2 buttered rolls

1 bottle of tizer

put hairs on your chest that :lol: :lol: :lol:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Put hair on mine just reading that! Why not just drink a cup of oil :lol:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Blueberry muffins are my favourite iceblue and the kids love them. Will give your recipes a try Rabidcabbage but I think I will leave Abbey Craigs oot .....however might be tasty after a night oot. :lol:

Here is a few of my favourites....Quick and Easy

The Ultimate Recovery Smoothie

Blueberries (100g) Large handfull
Rasberries (100g)
Half a banana
Orange Juice (150ml)
Handful of crushed ice if you have it.

The berry smoothie is an unbeatable recovery drink. Blueberries and rasberries are super rich in antioxidants which repair damaged muscle sells, counteract post-run soreness and speed recovery.The vitamin C in the OJ gives you an immunity boost.

When blueberries and raspberries are going out of season I buy them fresh in Tescos and 'flash' freeze them. No need to thaw just through them in frozen and omit the ice. Yougurt is good to add in for a change .

Never tried wine instead of the OJ but worth a try ...eh Ags. :wink:

The Ultimate Pre-Run Snack

Wholemeal roll
Peanut butter
Banana

Sounds disgusting together but its really tasty. This is a low GI snack which will maximise your stamina,with potassium from the banana to help combat cramp,plus omega 3 fats from peanuts to promote oxygen to muscle cells.

Enjoy
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Mull of Kintyre Half Marathon and 10k Run