People

Welcome to the House of Fun- try our puzzles, questions and heid burstin teasers! Please add yours!

Re: Travellers

Postby Govangirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:44 am

Right, I'm no having that, Hit that yellow button! This is being Rockerist. My own son is a rocker and I'm shocked that Emdee is so biased towards his ilk. :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 am

Govangirl wrote:Right, I'm no having that, Hit that yellow button! This is being Rockerist. My own son is a rocker and I'm shocked that Emdee is so biased towards his ilk. :lol:

Are there any Pikey Rockers? :wink:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dgraves » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Malky wrote:A lot of the arguments that used to be on this forum were caused by ambiguous posts and people taking comments the wrong way. I'm a bit pissed off at myself for giving the wrong meaning in my post earlier - I'm usually very careful what I write. In the past I had to be, as I was an admin and always tried to make sure I was fair and balanced and that my comments couldn't be misconstrued. I could have gone back and edited, but the damage was done. :?

I don't post a lot these days - I'll probably post even less now :roll: Anyway, apologies again to those concerned
Malky
PS. I clicked the Preview button before posting this time :wink:

I hope to see you on here often, Malky :D Your post and some of the other 'old originals' posts is what prompted me to come back!
One appology for a misinterpreted quote should be quite enough in anyone's book...there just happen to be a few that jump on the loudest bandwagon...and back and forth and back and forth! Annoying and hurtful.

I knew that you were teasing as did everyone else that has been on here for years. I'll look for your posts :wink:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:57 pm

I just cannot comprehend the amount of trouble and insensitivity this thread has caused, honestly! There seems to be sniping at the least wee thing and constant digging up of unnecessary points despite many attempts at changing the subject or gentle joking. I would guess that Malky is one of the most respected posters on here. He was briefly mis-smilied for a minute and apologised unnecessarily. Am I missing something here?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:02 pm

TIME TO MOVE ON EVERYONE!!!!!!!!How about some new jokes?Then we can all be happy,happy,happy!Must go,nurse is here with my medication.Must be a new nurse,name of Mo. :?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:46 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:TIME TO MOVE ON EVERYONE!!!!!!!!How about some new jokes?Then we can all be happy,happy,happy!Must go,nurse is here with my medication.Must be a new nurse,name of Mo. :?

Run out of shovels then?

Personally, I think Mo* had every right to protest. A tad stridently perhaps, but still entitled. There's a long history of travellers in Kintyre but the story is always told from someone else's point of view. if Mo*'s prepared to speak for them, then I for one am prepared to listen.

Honestly, Roger mate, this isn't meant as a dig at you. You probably don't know about the travellers in Kintyre, and I myself only have what amounts to childhood memories and folk tales to go on but I would love to hear the story from their point of view, or Mo*'s or any local historian.

P.S. The one thing I never heard the Kintyre travellers being described as was "thieves", that's probably what touched the nerve.

P.P.S. I know that's all a bit off-thread but hey, it had already gone beyond a joke.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Oh I should stay out of this thread............................. But here goes. Actually, Hugh I'm not quite sure if there is any racism or bad feeling here, that's my view of it. I might be very ignorant but like Emdee, I had never heard of the word 'pikey' either so have no idea of any connotations to it. I got annoyed because Mo seems to just have digs at people and nothing else although I'll be honest, it's gone on too long. As for travellers, I know where you're coming from. A few years ago, there were a lot of them staying here for a while and the Nimbys were out in full force. What really shocked me was what the older children thought of them and we arranged some visits. The stories they told were amazing, especially the history and by the end, half of the kids wanted to go and join them!!!! Sometimes, it's fear of what they don't know. I certainly learned a lot. I know you said that it could be because of the stealing but was that not a joke? There are lots of jokes about Glaswegians but I laugh. Is Rab C really what Govan folk are like? Of course not!!!!!

Anyway, it doesn't always work. One of the worse things I fear I'll never be able to change is the way many down here think of Asylum Seekers.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:56 am

Major! I almost recognize you! Could it possibly.. ?? noooooo! IS IT??

Btw, as the past has come up.. I might remind everyone that the regular posters got along pretty well and were pretty respectful of each other. That was Forum season 3. Not sure about this season 4, but can't wait for the Forum All Star season :lol: :mrgreen:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:02 am

DORIAN!!!!!!!!

An all-star if I ever saw one! WOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:53 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Major! I almost recognize you! Could it possibly.. ?? noooooo! IS IT??

Now, that's interesting! :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:02 am

Dorian,it's great to see one of the "old timers" back on.

I haven't posted for some time, but still read the items nearly every day. Some days are just like old times :oops:
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Malky » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:40 am

Pete Reek wrote:Dorian,it's great to see one of the "old timers" back on.

I haven't posted for some time, but still read the items nearly every day. Some days are just like old times :oops:

Good to see you here on the forum too Pete :D

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Major! I almost recognize you! Could it possibly.. ?? noooooo! IS IT??

Don't think so Bobbie. There are plenty of "Major's" about - they only post when there is controversy, stirring the pot to keep things moving - not a bad thing sometimes :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:18 am

Govan Girl;

Yeah, I'd twigged that about Mo*'s posts. I'd heard most of those phrases,- pikey, gadgie, etc.,- but the post was under the heading "travellers" which I thought kinda hinted at a wider prejudice. Was just wondering if anyone could tell the other side of the story.

Anyhoo, it seems to be over now and Roger's done the decent thing elsewhere, so that'll be that? Such is life, as Ned Kelly said.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:59 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Btw, as the past has come up.. I might remind everyone that the regular posters got along pretty well and were pretty respectful of each other. That was Forum season 3. Not sure about this season 4,

Have looked over old posts and find your rose-coloured view quite different from mine Bobbie but hey, if you want your forum back......... just say it in plain English. :!:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Govangirl wrote:
Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Btw, as the past has come up.. I might remind everyone that the regular posters got along pretty well and were pretty respectful of each other. That was Forum season 3. Not sure about this season 4,

Have looked over old posts and find your rose-coloured view quite different from mine Bobbie but hey, if you want your forum back......... just say it in plain English. :!:

The forum is the forum Govangirl - room for everyone. These things go in cycles though and interest waxes and wanes.

Funny thing, I was doing a backup yesterday and noticed from the stats that there is more people visiting the forum than ever before but bandwidth has gone done. Need to think how that can be :?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to House of fun