The Changing Face of Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: The Changing Face of Campbeltown

Postby History » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:13 pm

When the old "toon cooncil" met in the Town hall one of their annual duties was to walk round the town and judge the best kept gardens. The one that belonged to the prefab shown won it a few times times. There were three catagories (I think) Flower, Vegetable and Best All Round. In the picture you can see the onions spread out to dry on the roof of the shed. Must have had better weather then.

Beside the dustbin there was a brock bin and "Alistair,The Pigman" came round every Saturday morning to lift it.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm

History wrote:Beside the dustbin there was a brock bin and "Alistair,The Pigman" came round every Saturday morning to lift it.

The pigs were great for putting kitchen waste to a good use. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 pm

EMDEE wrote:The pigs were great for putting kitchen waste to a good use. :D

A big no no today having a brock bin outside the back door I would imagine :shock:

There's a shot of all the prefabs on Calton Hill taken from down the pier in the fifties. The pier is packed with passengers waiting on the Steamer. It's in a book called Old Machrihanish and Campbeltown by Carol O'Neill? The photo also shows Lochend Church.

Does anyone remember the first ice-cream van that came around. McRoberts? It was a small domed shape vehicle and was driven by Charlie Webster.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:36 pm

McRobert's ice cream van was an odd looking vehicle. It was an ordinary low profile van at the front with a back section high enough for the driver to stand up in. Didn't know the driver was Charlie Webster. I think he had his own van after that for a few years.

James Nimmo had the Mr Whippy van that went round the town playing "Greensleeves".
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm

History wrote:There's a shot of all the prefabs on Calton Hill taken from down the pier in the fifties. The pier is packed with passengers waiting on the Steamer. It's in a book called Old Machrihanish and Campbeltown by Carol O'Neill? The photo also shows Lochend Church.

It also shows the old Kinloch Place tenement and the toilets/shelter across the road.The gas works and gasometer is also visible.

PS...You were close History,it's Carol McNeill
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Click the link below for a great picture of Lochend Church taken from where the paths cross on Kinloch Green,also in the pic.is the old light and water fountain.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 pm

That's a great pic. Mixed memories of trooping down to that church from Dalintober.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Don't recognise that church at all - is that the one that was knocked down (near where Tesco's is now). I was always amazed that they knocked a church down, and even more seeing the picture. Anyone know why it was knocked down?
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Kevin Mc wrote:Don't recognise that church at all - is that the one that was knocked down (near where Tesco's is now). I was always amazed that they knocked a church down, and even more seeing the picture. Anyone know why it was knocked down?

Yes that is the one,basically where Tesco's car park is.

Dwindling congregation combined with the cost of upkeep and ministers stipend no doubt were the major factors.

Don't forget,though still standing,the Lorne St.and Castlehill churches are no longer used as such.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:37 am

I used to go the Lochend Church Sunday School - wasn't too keen on it and was feart of Mr McKenzie, The Sunday School teacher, but the church did have some amazing stained glass which I think was saved and sold off - anyone know where it went?

On the subject of James Nimmo's Mr Whippy van - there was also the chip van (who's was that?) and another van that sold groceries - I used to buy Bazooka bubble gum there - was it someone called Malcolm? - can anyone remember? It came round Davaar Avenue after school/teatime. There was also a rag and bone man....
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:13 pm

nimps wrote:I used to go the Lochend Church Sunday School - wasn't too keen on it and was feart of Mr McKenzie, The Sunday School teacher, but the church did have some amazing stained glass which I think was saved and sold off - anyone know where it went?

On the subject of James Nimmo's Mr Whippy van - there was also the chip van (who's was that?) and another van that sold groceries - I used to buy Bazooka bubble gum there - was it someone called Malcolm? - can anyone remember? It came round Davaar Avenue after school/teatime. There was also a rag and bone man....

Don't know about the stained glass, but if I remember correctly the organ went to another church. (Is it in Wales?)

That chip van would be Mead and McLean's. The other grocery van that you mention would be Malcolm McKay's.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 pm

nimps wrote: but the church did have some amazing stained glass which I think was saved and sold off - anyone know where it went?

Follow the link below and all will be revealed. 8)

http://www.stjohnsinthecity.org.nz/about/complex.htm
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Wow! Stunningly beautiful windows - no wonder you were so impressed nimps.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chattichatton » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:35 pm

[quote="EMDEE"][quote="nimps"]I used to go the Lochend Church Sunday School - wasn't too keen on it and was feart of Mr McKenzie, The Sunday School teacher,

Mr McKenzie was my next door neighbour when i was a liitle girl he and his wife ran the sunday school in Stewarton on a sunday afternoon i remember him as wonderful man who had a passion for roses. His wife has sent photos into the courier( down memory lane) over the last few week. I remeber they used to finish the sunday school in time for the village kids to go to the Ice cream van i think that was run by Tommy??
chattichatton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:37 am

bill wrote:
nimps wrote: but the church did have some amazing stained glass which I think was saved and sold off - anyone know where it went?

Follow the link below and all will be revealed. 8)

http://www.stjohnsinthecity.org.nz/about/complex.htm

Thanks for that link Bill. It's good to see these windows in situ and people taking a pride in what are the remnants of this church which was a Campbeltown landmark for so many years. It was a great pity that it had to be demolished. :(

I was not a member of that particular church, but I do remember it from the end of term services when I was in Dalintober School. At that time the minister was the Rev James P Young, and he was followed by the Rev John A M MacFie, but for the end of term services it seemed that all of the local ministers were involved. There are not so many of them nowadays.

I can't place Mr McKenzie?

Anybody know any more about the organ? :?:
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion