Carradale Fish Farm

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Carradale Fish Farm

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 am

A copy of the Council's report can be read here

A controversial plan for a new fish farm north of Carradale looks to have split the village into two camps and will go to a public hearing on Friday 6th November at 10.30am

There are two sides to the argument which has split the community;

> a new fish farm will bring employment to the village. A possible six jobs could be created.

> or the other side of the argument is in favour of preserving the unspoilt views and waters of Kilbrannon Sound.

The two sides of the argument appear to be split on broad geographical grounds with the majority of those in favour living in the village of Carradle and those against from Grogport and north.

Argyll and Bute Council planners were deluged with representations both for and against the proposed salmon farm at Eilean Grianain in the Kilbrannon Sound. And an eleventh hour petition with over 200 signatures against the plan was gathered by the North East Kintyre Consortium, Planning official Angus Gilmour told the council’s planning, protective services and licensing committee in Oban last week. He recommended a discretionary hearing be held, given the strength of feeling the proposals had created.

Ocean Shells Ltd wants to install 14 fish farm cages with a pontoon and food storage area and a service barge to be serviced from Carradale Harbour.

Both East Kintyre and Campbeltown Community Councils are for the plan, as it will bring jobs to the area.

It is going to be a tough one for them to decide; hence the calling for a hearing and for councillors to see the site and hear from local people first hand.

There could be other fish farm planning applications for a stretch further up the coast. Lease applications have been made to the Crown Estate for two, 14-cage cod farms, but these plans have yet to be decided by the council.

Planning officials recommended that the application be granted; it is now for objectors to sway the committee.

Objections have been raised by the Scottish Sea Trout Group, wild salmon interests and locals concerned about the visual impact on the stretch of coast.

The loss of a view is not a classed as a planning concern and Scottish Natural Heritage and the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency have not objected to the plans

The meeting will be held on November 6 at 10.30am.

A copy of the Council's report can be read here
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Carradale Fish Farm

Postby jdcarra » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 pm

I was at this well attended meeting up to lunch time, but due to other commitments I missed the afternoon session of summing up and so on.

But, I would like to say that for all those people who were in support of it the good news was the site was given the go ahead :D.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:04 am

There's always a cost to everything. People cannot buy their groceries and pay their rent with an unspoilt view. Scotland is one of the most suitable countries for fish farming, and although there is an environmental inpact in every development of this kind, I wouldn't think that a fish farm is going to impact too much on the Kilbrannan Sound, except maybe from some peoples houses. Even that in itself is debatable. It's not as if it's a nuclear power station.

Presumably the objectors are not going to be the ones who are looking for employment. Why should Kintyre miss out on this, which is now a major industry? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 am

Will be good for the village -another boat in the harbour -extra wages --maybe a few escapees fur the pot !
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 am

EMDEE wrote:There's always a cost to everything. People cannot buy their groceries and pay their rent with an unspoilt view. Scotland is one of the most suitable countries for fish farming, and although there is an environmental inpact in every development of this kind, I wouldn't think that a fish farm is going to impact too much on the Kilbrannan Sound, except maybe from some peoples houses. Even that in itself is debatable. It's not as if it's a nuclear power station.

Presumably the objectors are not going to be the ones who are looking for employment. Why should Kintyre miss out on this, which is now a major industry? :?

Bitter End wrote:Will be good for the village -another boat in the harbour -extra wages --maybe a few escapees fur the pot

Must say I fully agree with what is quoted above.

There was a time many years ago I would have been dead against them but times have now changed. We in the village have seen the diminish of the fishing fleet and in other ports also.There are still some boats trawling, we are now seeing more prawn creelers working the area, razor fish divers and now the fish farm site.We hope this will continue to keep the harbour active and jobs for the young and old alike.

There have been issues raised by the some of the objectors on the damage to the wild salmon stock over what was mentioned deceases,pollution and escapees,others on the visual impact and of some visitors not returning to the area on holiday if it got the go ahead. I cannot speak for the first issue but, i would hope this does not stop our annual visitors to the village.

There are daily risks in all occupations,that we shall have to live with. I hope all will settle down and Lakeland Marine can get on with ther new venture here in Carradale.

Just my views.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 am

Certainly will not stop me from visiting.Nimbyism should not apply here for the reasons previously stated.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Lad » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:56 am

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Nimbyism should not apply here for the reasons previously stated.

Quite agree Roger. The ironic thing is about the objectors was it wasn't their backyard in the first place to complain about! People sell their houses elsewhere to retire to Kintyre then have the cheek to complain about proposed ventures that will bring employment to the local community. :evil: Many with young families who will ensure the community continues.
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby petewick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Glad that this is getting the go ahead, much needed jobs for those in the area, and has been
stated, scenery does'nt put bread on the table.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Right Pongal » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Was that right that the objectors had been up at Brackley with grapes and shovels getting a few signatures of derision?

The Glasgow Herald will be waiting for the next telegraph from the Ice Age proving the genetic integrity of the wild fish stocks that were meant to be under threat from escapees running amok. It turns out that the only ice was in the buckets that carried the young fish from the hatchery to the burn!
Don't jeest leave it at yer erse, everything has a place ....................so keep it Pongal!
Right Pongal
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm

jdcarra wrote:But, I would like to say that for all those people who were in support of it the good news was the site was given the go ahead :D.

That's great news, JD. This can only be good for the village. A victory for common sense over NIMBYism.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Whips & Jingles » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Wow, what did I miss here. Sounds like Cluedo, Halloween and Guy F*wks rolled into one; The night of the living dead set to fireworks and parlour orchestra music with the odd mammoth stamping around to great effect. They say that the eskimos are the only ones qualified to talk about salmon from the ice age. I should know because I have researched this subject for neigh on 30 years.....

The county wallahs will be lamenting into their consommé over this break down of the feudal system.

'The cheek of those bolshie serfs!'

It would make a splendid script for Monarch of the Glen. Did Witchnettle help them to conjour up a few spirits?
Whips & Jingles
Whips & Jingles
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bitter End » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Whips an J wrote " The county wallahs will be lamenting into their consommé over this break down of the feudal system. "

maybe they wisna learnin frae --The Men O Knoydart -- who staked ther claim an dug ther drains on Brockets' private land !!
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sanyanya » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Mmmm Bitter End, don't tell me the tide is turning and the feudal lords are being cast adrift in the sound? They will be hoping for a nice shiny fish farm at Cour or Clonaig to hang onto as they bob around in the tide. Being entrepreneurs, they will no doubt be selling teas and coffees to the tourists admiring the hard working fellows out off the shore.

Of course all of this was predicted by the Bochan on Friday 25th March 2005. He used to say he had the second sight, and to think that I didn't believe him. He said that he first saw shapes in herring scale dried onto real fishermen's oilskins but more recently it was stains on work tops after the annual boiling of bramble jeely.

Back in 2005 he said:

'We're hoping that the farmers of the sea will settle in the village, securing a source of good protein. We've noted that there's not many fishermen with the native cunning of the Slants left skippering boats from the village. At the risk of offending the cloven hooved fella from the Narachan Burn, this might not bode well for the long term viability of the harbour. Indeed, maybe the time has come to call in the yachts. Think of the scope the Bochans could have with the yachties.'

Absolutely astonishing.... is this some kind of trickery?
Strip the Willow was a trade long before the devil turned it into a dance!

Sanyanya
Sanyanya
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bitter End » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Trickery indeed ? Ahm no thinkin the Bochan uses a wee stone wi a hole through it the wey Coinneach Odhar did . Ahm sure he jist casts wan o his een tae the sky an the ither doon tae the grund aside his feet an ' sees ' . Weel Ah 'm thinkin thets whit he's daen whin his eyes gang shoogley, but maybe naw.

An whits this wey the 'oilskins ' whin did dopers die oot ??
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Right Pongal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 am

They're telling me in the baker's this morning that the burn has to be dredged from the salmon rock right up to the stepping stones to allow the landing crafts to operate from outside the skipper's doors, with lock gates being installed down at the hole. Eh! Surely this canna be right? It wasn't in the Bochan's prophecy and boy is he a man of vision?

Apparently up about Cour they used to marinade then dry the redfish on the rocks and crumble it into cigarette papers along with Old Bogey Roll. The real die hards would stuff it into clay pipes and puff till their heids were burling. Maybe this is where the parallels with smoking and farming salmon came from that 'The Wicked Witch of the North East' was alluding to. And they say that the Carradale folk are droll....
Don't jeest leave it at yer erse, everything has a place ....................so keep it Pongal!
Right Pongal
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Local News and Issues