Weather - with photos

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Weather - with photos

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Although it was cold this morning (reg -4 at 9am) and it looks like the cold snap will continue, Kintyre looks to have been let off lightly compared to the rest of Scotland.

So how is the weather with you (wherever you are) and do you have any photos?

Here is the metcheck forecast for the next 7 days for PA28

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7da ... pcode=pa28
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Weather

Postby Bobh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Dave, woke this morning and had to more or less dig the wifes car out. It had snowed again during the night (mon-tue) The roads are shocking, the pavements are worse. I was in the city centre yesterday and thats just as bad. The pavements were about an inch deep in places with ice. I've been on the webcam and think you have got away very lightly.

There appears to be no gritters or salt. And i would say this is the longest coldest snap i can remember.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Bobh wrote:I've been on the webcam and think you have got away very lightly.

Yes, recent images from Webcam do highlight what a beautiful day it was today.

http://www.visitkintyre.info/webcam/index.htm

(click on recent images)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby linda_j » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am

We have had it pretty bad here and can honestly say I think last time we had so much snow was back in the 70s.

Check out the photos we took yesterday when out and about....
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:Although it was cold this morning (reg -4 at 9am) and it looks like the cold snap will continue, Kintyre looks to have been let off lightly compared to the rest of Scotland.

Not up this way SCD. Parts of Carradale are still covered in ice, the school starts back tomorrow (WED) and the entrance and playgound are dangerous.The back road leading out of Carradale (B842) has been a nightmare since Christmas with as at today black ice and a coating of snow.Our local Doctor got stuck at Grogport last night trying to get to patients with the severe road conditions and had to stay with some locals overnight.The snow plough/gritter went up this morning (Tues) about 9.30am and went off the road at Barmoloch,this side of Grogport.It was rescued about 2.00pm by Gus Black only to get stuck again whilst trying to grit the road in reverse.I was up that way a run and took some pics of the road conditions which show the ice and very little gritting.A friend phoned me later, she and her husband really worried being stuck and not getting to work and so on told me that the council has not got any salt in the grit, so why the bother? They are putting the gritter drivers at risk also as mentioned off the road and twice in the one area.
The weather has to remain like this for some time yet,the people that depend on this road are struggling, some cars and other vehicles have went off the road, what if something serious happens and the emergency vehicles cannot get to them?
I know there are worst conditions elsewhere, but we are speaking about Argyll and Bute with some icy stretches, not feet of snow.
There has been plenty of complaining all around.

Driving up the B842 to Kirnashie.
The forestry road at Kirnashie/Grianan
The top of Brackley hill aqnd you can see the road is like an ice rink.
Brackley hill driving down towards Grogport were the gritter was stuck
The forestry road at brackley hill
One of the trapped cars (may be Dr Elders)getting on his way home by the gritter.
Last edited by jdcarra on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 am

jdcarra wrote:
Ship called Dignity wrote:Although it was cold this morning (reg -4 at 9am) and it looks like the cold snap will continue, Kintyre looks to have been let off lightly compared to the rest of Scotland.

Not up this way SCD.

Good point JD, was of course referring mainly to Campbeltown and South Kintyre. 8) On the whole however, Kintyre, I am sure is relatively good compared to the majority of areas in Scotland and in particular to the North.

Great pictures by the way. Got a new camera for Christmas so time to start posting photos again. 8)

With regards the state of the roads etc I'm not sure any Council could cope (or are coping) with the recent cold snap we are encountering. As many say it has been the coldest in many years. Seen areas gritted only for a slight thaw to be frozen again overnight.

Here is a couple from before Christmas

Afternoon sunset over Campbeltown

Early morning snow in Campbeltown (esplanade)

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:With regards the state of the roads etc I'm not sure any Council could cope (or are coping) with the recent cold snap we are encountering. As many say it has been the coldest in many years. Seen areas gritted only for a slight thaw to be frozen again overnight.

Nice sunset pic SCD (what camera did you get). Off subject.

Regarding quote.
Take your point but then they shall have to look into the future,many other countries cope and they have it all year round.If we are going to have more winters like this they need to up there procedures.We like all pay council tax and for what,they lift our bin once a week and they could not do that at Christmas because of the ice on the road to our house,we do not have the privilege of proper street lighting, pavements and so on.
If the back road up here was gritted daily and with salt it would get rid of the thicker icy stretches making it easier if it was just a light freeze later.We are talking about thick ice here and the next big problem is the roads are breaking up bad,deep potholes and so on.If we damage our vehicles will the Council pay out-NO CHANCE- despite someone saying take a pic and measure the hole.
Thats my rant over for the now :roll: . Cheers SCD all the best for 2010.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Weather - with photos

Postby Bonnie Lass » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Here are some photos from "Up North" - ironically the further north we went the better the road conditions, even though there was more snow !!

On route North to Inverness - before Christmas

Icicles

Snow on Beach

Waiting for Food !!

Crossing the mountains via a pass. Temp -12C

Braemore Junction

On route South to Inverness - after Christmas
Bonnie Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby mrn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Beautfiful pictures!

JD, your right, I stay in the country up a farm road. Its about time I got pavements and street lights! :D
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm

mrn wrote:Beautfiful pictures!

I'll second that "mrn". Your turning into a bit of a photographer "Bonnie Lass". Were looking for recruits up here in the camera club :wink: .

mrn wrote:JD, your right, I stay in the country up a farm road. Its about time I got pavements and street lights! :D

Your mugging it a wee bit "mrn" :roll: .Will we add the tarring of the track also :lol: .

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:11 pm

jdcarra wrote:
mrn wrote:JD, your right, I stay in the country up a farm road. Its about time I got pavements and street lights! :D

Your mugging it a wee bit "mrn" :roll: .Will we add the tarring of the track also :lol: .

To be honest JD it was a bit of tongue in cheek at your comments. You sometimes have to accept where YOU choose to stay and get on with it. I hardly think your street in Carradale is on the highest maintenance priorities of the roads department. :P

PS, What a beautiful day! Just back from a walk along Westport with the dogs. Cold but beautiful!
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 pm

mrn wrote:
jdcarra wrote:

To be honest JD it was a bit of tongue in cheek at your comments. You sometimes have to accept where YOU choose to stay and get on with it. I hardly think your street in Carradale is on the highest maintenance priorities of the roads department. :P

PS, What a beautiful day! Just back from a walk along Westport with the dogs. Cold but beautiful!

Och c'mon "mrn", you've just upset me more than Argyll and Bute Council today :( .

I've just came in this late afternoon to get an e-mail from a friend up the back road to say that the B842 is closed at Grogport. There are signs at the Glen Bar and Restaurant saying this.The heckles now have stood up. I got on to the roads dept to find out what the h*ll is going on and spoke to a roads man who said it was too dangerous to let anyone drive through and they did not have the resources to cope with the icy bit in question. One wee bit and its all closed.
I asked was the emergency services alerted on this matter and he said the Police were, yet as far as I know no other in our area was-fire-coastguard and so on.
They do not know when it will reopen, but I and all up here think it is a disgrace.To drive from Grogport to Carradale now entails a trip of around 63 miles for anyone who works here and what if we need a doctor quickly.

Some one needs to get their act together and quickly.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blue ranger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

gritter off the road twice at grogport. im not surprised .looking at your pictures jd you would think there would be more . gritters not spreading salt . . how . becouse its empty used it all up on the slippy roads on the way up .o the gritter passsed me and its not spreading. how. becouse its away back to reload. where i come from people respect the gritter work force. on here it sounds as if SOME people like takeing a dig at the job thay do. nice pictures mind u.hope u didnt get stuck on that slippy road getting them :lol:
blue ranger
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

It must be a tricky one JD. Priorities have to be made and obviously over the festive period there are only so many working days available to the Council. The men who work on roads obviously have families too and with the introduction of single status many may work to rule. (its pretty political but there is a point to be proved for many (not just on roads))

I'd imagine the likes of the Grogport road was well down these lists of priorities and the main roads had to be maintained too. As a result the Grogport Road gets worse and worse while the main roads are maintained. They now try to do work on it and can't. Bit of a catch 22 and would imagine far more places would suffer if the snow lay in South Kintyre for longer. I'm sure there are other roads in Kintyre which were not looked at until this week too.

Not trying to defend the Council in any way but there has to be an appreciation of the situation these guys are in too. (plus I just like a good discussion :mrgreen: ).
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 am

blue ranger wrote: on here it sounds as if SOME people like takeing a dig at the job thay do.

Ship called Dignity wrote:Not trying to defend the Council in any way but there has to be an appreciation of the situation these guys are in too. (plus I just like a good discussion :mrgreen: ).

I have no dig at the workforce at all, nothing to do with the workers. Its the goverment in general that needs the dig to give more finance to the roads dept, but down the line its the local council who get the stick.
Back to the workforce or drivers or what, that is the job they do, they are the ones who take on the long hours be it Christmas Day or New Years day,they do not do it for nothing, they probably are well paid for the overtime. One driver whom I spoke to was happy to get as much time a possible, money in your pocket at the end of the day.
Lets not forget, there are thousands of others out there whom work throughout the festive season and other times also, and I myself like many others in the emergency sevices on call too.
We are only talking about a couple of black spots on this road that cannot be rectified by a bit of salt and grit because of cutbacks. Time we stopped paying that council tax, they are quick off their mark in reminding you if you forget a payment.
I'm away to hibernate now and give someone else a chance to keep the site motivated.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to General Chit Chat