Beach Clean Groups

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Beach Clean Groups

Postby oceanmaiden » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi, are there any beach clean groups still active along the Peninsula? I have seen posts from 2009 ....
oceanmaiden
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Beach Clean Groups

Postby mrn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am

If I recall there is normally an annual beach clean at Westport organised by a group of volunteers but not sure if there is anything formal. Are you looking to get involved or even start a group?
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby oceanmaiden » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi, I don't live in the area but came on holiday a few weeks ago, stayed at Killigruer . The beach at the campsite was littered with fishing gear, plastics, twine etc. I spent a couple of afternoons clearing it, which was fine, theraputic :-)). But, travelling down to Campbletown , I noticed that some of the smaller beaches also had bits of nets and debris on them.
You have an amazing coastline and such a variety of marine wildlife . As you know, all of the above can cause death by choking or entanglement to birds, seals and dolphins.
The lady at the campsite didn't think you had any marine debris groups that worked the coastline regulary. Myself and some friends from Dumfries and Galloway were willing to come back and help with multiple cleans over the summer.
oceanmaiden
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi Ocean Maiden

Firstly thanks for registering on the Kintyre Forum and posting. Welcome! Hopefully we can find you some answers to your questions.

Will try and find out more.

KFN
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi

Posted this on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/kintyreforum/p ... ed_comment

And received some feedback

From Gus Laurenson

If you organise your own group you can get equipment on loan , grabbers, bags and gloves from Andrea Sara McShannon, from the GRAB Trust . We did Port Corbert the last 2 years and it makes a big difference!

From Jill Slater

Nothing organised but i do Keil Carpark one a few times a year

I know you are on FB too but keen to relay any information/discussion on here too as it easy to find retrospectively and can be found. Great to get posts on Facebook but find the topics are easily lost after a short period of time! 8) Thanks again for using the Kintyre Forum.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:41 am

Some additional information

Andrea Sara McShannon Hi Yes, contact the Beaches & Marine Litter Project run by The Grab Trust which covers all of Argyll & Bute. They support community groups and schools with setting up a beach clean and can loan equipment. http://www.grab.org.uk/beachc.html.

Surfers Agains Sewerage also hold a bi-annual clean at Westport. There are also other small community groups throughout Kintyre who clean their own spots and many of the schools are out regularly cleaning their local beaches also. Hope that helps

Donna Martin I had just come here to say that :) More information at

https://tarbert.online/index.php/2019/0 ... 2t_UTV3eN0

Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 am

It's extremely sad what washes up on our shore lines around Kintyre. I regularly clean the area where we stay but it can sometimes be soul destroying when another large tide brings in more rubbish! Would be great if we can encourage more people to do their bit.
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local News and Issues