Commonwealth Games opening ceremony

Have your say....

Commonwealth Games opening ceremony

Postby numberplease » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 am

I was on another forum earlier, and an amazing number of posters on there who are from Scotland were condemning the opening ceremony as embarrassing, and boring, and cheap. I`m not Scottish, just a lover of Scotland, but I really enjoyed the opening ceremony, I thought it was a very happy, colourful affair. But I bet poor Prince Imran wished the floor would open up and swallow him when the baton wouldn`t open! It took the combined efforts of himself and Sir Chris Hoy to get the thing open, whilst the Queen looked patiently on, hilarious!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Commonwealth Games opening ceremony

Postby gizmo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:32 am

I think every opening ceremony I have ever seen is dire while watching it. Remember the industrial scenes at the Olympics, and the chap dressed as Brunel? The set up at the World Cup was abysmal at the time but as quite good by the time it was finished.
I never watched the whole thing last night but thought it was largely very good. Dancing teacakes, kids playing bagpipes made of paper and wooden spoons, Rod Stewart trying to be trendy, felt bad for Subo fluffing the opening but she nailed it in the end. Whats not to like?
I realise it was not everyones cup of tea, but you can please some of the people some of the time etc.
I heard a comment last night that gave me chuckle. "Independance, after that they will be chucking us out." :D
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I thought it was chaotic, cringe-worthy at times with all the cliches and way too over the top with product-placement (and I'm not going to go on about those AWFUL Scottish tartan outfits!!!!!) - but I loved it all!!! Rod was fab, the atmosphere looked wonderful, the athletes were so happy-looking, the weather looked fantastic and Barrowman's message to other countries by that kiss was brilliant. And the ‘Come in, come in, it’s nice to see you, Tak’ a seat and ha’e a drammie.’ was great!!!! When the Duke of Wellington statue emerged with the infamous cone on the heid I laughed and also had a nostalgic wee tear of pride.

On the BBC this morning, all they did was compare it to the opening to the Olympics - what's that about? They are two different things! In the end, I guess we knew we were going to get the cliched parody of Scottishness but that's what we are so good at, making fun of ourselves with the knowledge of knowing our rich artistic and cultural worth in the world. Loved it!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm

I agree with your last point Govangirl - I can only imagine that the opening section was intended to be some sort of ironic enactment of how (some) others see us, rather than a serious attempt at giving the audience a view of Scottishness. Its hard to believe it could be so good in parts, yet seemingly awful in others. Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong!

Folk are talking about it though, which is generally the aim.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:56 pm

I thought Gordon Matheson (Glasgow's answer to Boris) was embarrassing with his shouting into the microphone. One remark I saw was that there was a touch of Rev Ian Paisley about it. :roll:

However, if "self-criticism, self-doubt and cringing at own culture" was a Commonwealth Games sport, Scotland would win the Gold.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc