Southend Mull of Kintyre Reunited Book

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Southend Mull of Kintyre Reunited Book

Postby bythesea21 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

The Southend – Mull of Kintyre – Reunited, book which author Avril Stone has been working on for most of this year is now at the printers and will be returned to the publishers, Halsgrove before the end of October.
The book contains over 350 nostalgic photographs, the earliest dating back to the late 1800’s and the most recent were taken of Southend people at work and play in 2009.

The book tells a story of the everyday lives of the people who live on the Mull of Kintyre and their ancestors. Among some of these are: farmers, fishermen, coastguards, ministers, doctors, lighthouse keepers, schoolmasters, hoteliers and innkeepers. It also covers the life of Dunaverty Golf Club and the Dunaverty Players and the people involved with their successes. There are photographs of school and church life, the Scout, Girl-Guides and Brownie groups, the Southend Highland Games and Pagents in fact the author has tried to cover all aspects of life on the Mull of Kintyre during the past century. Avril says that she feels strongly that memories are lost from generation to generation because nobody no-one records them and that she has enjoyed every moment of the project especially meeting people and listening to their life stories.
This large format (A4), 160 – page hardback book can be purchased direct from the publishers by email on sales@halsgrove.com or www.halsgrove.com or if you live locally the Muneroy Stores Tel. 830221 and The Argyll Arms Hotel Tel. 830622 will have books for sale and you can reserve your copy now.
bythesea21
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Southend Mull of Kintyre Reunited Book

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:07 am

This really is worth a read and can be purchased on-line at http://www.halsgrove.com/proddetail.php ... 1841149707 or local bookshops in Campbeltown and of course if you want the book and some of the best home baking there is then why not take a wee trip down to Southend and visit Muneroy Tearoom :mrgreen:

Pointing like a finger into the sea on the far west of Scotland is the beautiful Kintyre Peninsula, and on its southernmost tip – the Mull – and nestled in its lee is the village of Southend. Few will fail to recognise the name of the area made famous all over the world by Paul McCartney’s haunting song, ‘Mull of Kintyre’.

Southend has a special claim to fame. Stand on a hilltop and you can look right across the Atlantic! This stretch of that mighty ocean tumbling onto the shore also washes the coast of Northern Ireland just 12 miles away.

Capturing the past on the printed page is a passion with author Avril Stone. And something of a personal mission. “So many memories are lost from generation to generation because nobody records them”, said Avril, She compiled this book at her home on the Mull of Kintyre with the help of local families. What she enjoyed most, she says, was meeting people and listening to their memories of days gone by.

Packed with more than 350 nostalgic photographs, featuring the people, places, events, groups and personalities of Southend,Mull of Kintyre over the last century, this book will reunite all those who love the area with their fondest memories of this most special place.

Bind a fascination for history with a love of listening to people reminisce about times past, and you have a basis of Avril Stone’s books. She and her husband Eric retired to Southend from North Devon. There, as a child, one of her favourite pastimes was hearing stories her parents and grandparents told of days gone by as the family sat around the dining table after Sunday lunch.

Avril is mother of three and grandmother of six and her home on the Mull of Kintyre echoes with family chat and laughter when they all visit. Came the millennium and Avril’s passion for photography combined with her love of history in her first book for Halsgrove about the village of High Bickington just outside Barnstaple where she and Eric lived for many years.

The success of this was followed up with her book of Barnstaple. However, one volume became two because interest was so keen among local families. The response from Southend people she found equally warm during her researches for this book.

Imprint: Halsgrove. ISBN 978 1 84114 970 7, hardback, 297x210mm, 160 pages. Published October 20009.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JAFFA » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 pm

I ordered my copy early Novemeber and it took just 3 days to arrive. It is a christmas present for my father in law and I cant wait till he has it open so I can have a read. I know he will love it and I cant wait for santa to arrive :lol: :lol:

kind regards Jeff
JAFFA
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby JAFFA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Hugh McShannon is my father in law and he really enjoyed the book(I knew he would). It is a fantastic look into Southends history. Many thanks to Avril and all of those that made the book possible.

kind regards Jeff
JAFFA
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Got this book at Christmas. Lots of interesting history and loads of photos bringing back memories of times past and especially so many folk we knew who are no longer with us.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes, EMDEE. I am sure we will be meaning some of the same folk when we think of those now gone...

For me it was so nice to see a very special person in my life as cover material :wink:

My mum gave all of her offspring copies of this book, and it is a really delightful present. Well worth getting. Especially because I only need to endure a corner of my head included in one photo. Other family members feature more prominently, as they should.

The social history it relays, incidentally, is fascinating. For example, 1,500 people at the commemoration of the war memorial at Keprigan. The events and associations that prevailed. A 'cannot put it down' item, indeed.

Well done to all involved who put this book together.

More on the way too, I hear :-)
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Harold Ralston » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 am

I accidentally have an extra copy of the book.
If anyone near Wisconsin, USA would like a copy, get in touch with me.
http://www.ralstongenealogy.com/visitor.htm
Harold A Ralston
Mt Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA
Harold Ralston
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion